I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Torzite
Posted by: lee smith (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2015 10:55AM

Man I love these Fugi Torzite guides, anybody else using them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Torzite
Posted by: ernest sebastian (112.215.66.---)
Date: March 22, 2015 01:40PM

yes and love how slim the insert

Posted by: ernest sebastian (112.215.66.---)
Date: March 22, 2015 01:40PM

yes and love how slim the insert

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2015 04:53PM

OK
They are pretty and slim I have knowed a lot of woman the same way

What else do they do

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 23, 2015 09:34AM

The new TORZITE® surf guides are "flanged". How many flanged women have you known, Bill? Ha!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 09:35AM by Jim Ising.

Date: March 23, 2015 09:38AM

i am just wondering how much more casting distance ya can get with them

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 23, 2015 09:53AM

I'll start a new thread so eveyone can have a look. They are very "new " looking.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 23, 2015 10:41AM

Bill: Only big differences between the weight and size of guides will result in a measurable change in casting distance. The type of ceramic insert in a guide is important if you are fishing in the Carborundum River. Now, the style of the guide . . .

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2015 11:29AM

I agree that the presence of a guide insert, or the type of guide insert has essentially 0 effect in the casting distance of a rod.

The reason is pretty simple.

After a rod's cast has accelerated the line tip and line, the rod is essentially pointing straight toward the casting target. If the guide sizing and location was done correctly, the line should have essentially no contact with a guide as the line is propelled toward its target.

If the line does not touch a guide, it would be difficult for a guide to have any effect on the casting distance of that line.

Good luck

Date: March 23, 2015 04:42PM

So Roger

If the rings don't matter then the alconites should work just as well And at a better price Hmmmmm

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 23, 2015 05:14PM

Line touches rings hundreds of times on every cast. And smashes headlong into the stripper on every cast. Ring material effect may be up for debate but whether it touches or not is obvious in super slow motion.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 23, 2015 05:17PM

Roger, the idea that the line does not touch the guides during the cast does not make sense. What you are suggesting is that once the line is up to speed it flies down the guide train perfectly centered in the middle of every guide. In actuality, it continually touches every guide during the entire cast.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Date: March 23, 2015 10:26PM

What I am really saying my my comment that the line does not touch the guide, is that the line does not touch the guide in a way that has any significant friction effect on the ring or ring material.

i.e. the line if flying past just brushing the guide if at all, just to stay in the guide hole as the line is cast.

This in contrast, to the force on a guide when a fish is being fought and landed. i.e. when a rod is fully loaded and a strong fast running fish males a long run, that is line heavily loading the guide ring and thus heat and friction can rub lesser guides down.

This is not the case for line that is simply flying through the guide on a cast.

Good luck

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.pools.cgn.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 24, 2015 07:33AM

Roger lives In a perfect world. We don't ,,

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: March 24, 2015 10:18AM

Fred,
The reason for my post was to simply say that line tension on guides is so small during a cast, that the type and kind of guide ring is not important on a rod when it comes to casting distance.

Take care

Posted by: Phil Hageman (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 24, 2015 01:46PM

I just built a heavy spinning rod with Torzite for fishing with shiners for bass in heavy cover, using braid. Torzite was noticeably smoother casting, and the T/b combination has a very distinct sound when a heavy fish is running line under heavy strain. Casting is okay - this is not surf casting - the line plays out smoothly and I find it easier to throw a heavy bait. Not so much energy to launch the bait.

Date: March 24, 2015 04:33PM

What's the difference in the coefficient of friction between guides costing X and 5X? Will guides costing 5X cast five times farther? .20X times farther? .002X farther? Obsession and successful marketing can make fine people look silly.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2015 05:28PM

There is certainly contact between the line and rings, but there is very little force pressing the line into the ring. Because the force is small, the friction force will be small as well. The friction will be largest in the early moments after the cast as that first bunch of line hits the butt guide. As soon as the line begins to settle, the friction force will drop off dramatically. There is a reason that the differences between well conceived guide layouts is small. It's because they aren't doing anything to greatly reduce resistive forces on the line.

I would be willing to bet that most of the energy lost while the lure is in flight has to do with the air resistance of the line after it leaves the rod. Ever notice how far a lure goes when the line breaks on the cast?

A good guide train will quickly reduce the line envelope reducing the cross-section available for air resistance and allow the line to take a straighter path through the guides.

Are the numbers available comparing weights of Torzites to comparable Ti SiCs and Ti Alconites? If the Torzites are significantly lighter, they may be worth a look on a big budget build. If not, then I would keep them in mind if the need to ever build an offshore big game rod where friction and heat dissipation become a realistic concern. Sorry Jim, but Torzites just aren't going to match my budget for a while :), though I have little doubt that they are a great option.

On the rare occasion that a rod leaves my shop, I explain what my personal choice of guides for the rod is, and explain the cost and benefits of other guide train options. Some stick with my suggested guide option, others choose more expensive options.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2015 01:10PM

Being strictly a bass fisherman, the only experience I have with running fish is when I hook a muskie. And they don't run that long to where I'd be worried about any heat build up in the line. A long distance of reeling a fish in would be 100', so probably not a whole lot of heat being built up in the line either. What I see as being the main advantage for a Torzite ring on a bass rod would be weight savings. I've seen a picture comparing the same size guides, one with Torzite, one with Alconite, and one with Silicone Carbide. The Torzite appears as if the I.D. of the ring would allow the use of at least a one size smaller guide than either of the other materials, and still retain the same ID as the others. A 5 Torzite versus a 6 Alconite or Silicone Carbide.

Any weight savings is good when it comes to sensitivity, right?

The down side is that you could build a pretty decent rod for the same cost as just a Torzite set of guides and tip top.

Date: March 25, 2015 05:25PM

A rod's sensitivity depends upon the amount of slack in the line and the weight, resistance and elasticity of the line before any other variables. The guides, rod blank and rod grip can not relay what the line does not transmit.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster