I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix 2M80XHF
Posted by: Dwight Webb (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 20, 2015 09:23PM

I have been looking for a strong light weight blank to replace my Seeker CJBF80H and ran across the St Croix 2M80XHF with some amazing ratings for only a 6.2 oz blank. Looks as though it will make a very good light snapper rod here in Florida. Some comments on this blank being a good choice or not is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix 2M80XHF
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 21, 2015 07:58PM

FYI, St Croix tends to 'underrate' their musky blanks. They can handle more weight than they are rated for.

jeremy

Date: March 21, 2015 09:25PM

Thank you. This one is rated 50-100 which I find amazing for such a light weight rod so I will give a try and see how it handles snapper. The heavy seeker handles them well and it is a 30-80 and heavy.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2015 08:14PM

Dwight, IIRC that seeker is rated around 40# class at the middle of its rating. I'd wager it could deadlift that amount. If you take the middle of the st. croix's rating as 75#'s I can pretty much promise it will explode if you try to deadlift that amount. Very different rods. To me the musky blanks bring the ability to fish a lot of lead while being light and sensitive (and that is why I bought one). I would never think they actually had the ability to lift anywhere near the rating. I'd put deadlift closer to 20-30# range depending on angle of inclination. They are fresh water rods and the seeker is a salt water rod.

If you want more for the blank weight think black hole/phoneix type blanks.

A "light snapper" rod for florida need not be very powerful unless you are fishing strong currents.....honestly the fish aren't that big nor tough. I'm intrested in black hole's tai specail for mutton.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: March 24, 2015 09:31PM

Thanks for the tips. That blank is actually listed as Musky/Saltwater but regardless of that if it can lift a 30# weight off the ground without exploding then it will work just fine for me. The blank is on the way so we shall see very soon what it can take. Been hooking some really fat red snappers without snapping my 40 lb leader. So after I build it I should just see what kind of a dumbbell that I can lift with a 40 lb leader. If the leader snaps and the rod doesn't then it passes and will work just fine.

Date: April 04, 2015 07:23PM

The blanks finally arrived today and I gave it a good test with my wife holding down and it is a very strong light weight stick. So, it may just cross a snappers eye balls. Will find out soon.

Date: April 11, 2015 08:25PM

In the first minute of use with 40 lb leader and 21 lb of drag it snapped like a toothpick about 3 inches from the fore grip. No more St Croix blanks for me. I talked to the factory rep Friday and he told me that musky fishermen use 21 to 25 lb of drag so I played it safe at 21 lb and snapped almost immediately after hook set. Fish surged and I pulled back and pow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster