I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tape Problem - Help!
Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 11:00PM

This is likely a very unusual situation. Those of your who saw my last Topic know that I am turning a couple handles with the cork on the blank.

Well...I put my first one on the lathe tonight and it actually went pretty well, I have the contour for the most part how I want it and only need to work on getting the butt cap put in flush. The problem started when I started to take the metal mandel out of the rod blank. As I was trying to spin it out, my lathe didn't have enough power and I ended up having to "muscle" it off. Long story short, a clump of tape I used to build up the mandrel got stuck inside the blank about 6" in. Has anyone encountered this problem? If so, how would I go about getting it out? Any help is much appreciated! This is my first real high end build I've done and I would hate to have that blemish there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tape Problem - Help!
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 11:05PM

Nate,

Could you reach it with a bent coat hanger and work it out? Just a thought!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: March 19, 2015 11:08PM

I can try that. The challenge I will face is that it pretty much fills the full inner diameter of the blank...

Will leaving it in affect the sensitivity or integrity of the blank?

Posted by: james devine (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2015 11:27PM

You may be able to hook it with a crochet needle. If you don't have one they are inexpensive.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2015 11:54PM

If it's inside the blank, why are we worried about it?
Out of sight - Out of mind.
If it must come out I think you either have to force a long wire, with a hook on the end, passed this wad of tape, and drag it out , or use something with a screw thread to dig into it and pull it like a wine cork.
Perhaps an extra long patio deck screw?

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2015 12:11AM

threaded rod nearly same size as hole, longer than the grip, feed it through completely. repeat if necessary

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 20, 2015 07:25AM

I cannot see how it will affect anything if left in. But fishing around for it won't affect anything either as long as you limit yourself to the gentle methods already suggested.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 20, 2015 08:02AM

If it fills the blank and you can't really grab it with a hook type tool, you will need something like a screw thread to screw into and through the tape, then you should be able to pull it out. If not, repeated attempts should break it up into smaller parts that a hook might then be able to extricate the parts.

I would try a pointy screw with deep threads like a drywall screw. Cut the head off and tape it very tightly to one end of a coat hanger. On the other end, tape a straightened out single hook with a substantial barb.

Between the screw and hook's barb, you should be able to get it out.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2015 08:55AM

The coat hanger should work just bend a small hook on the end with a needle nose plyers

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 20, 2015 09:00AM

Thanks everyone for the tips. I was able to get it out this morning thankfully!

Date: March 20, 2015 09:05AM

You might have turned the arbor the wrong way when taking it out of the blank
I always mark the direction to turn out so as not to Rub the edge of the tape and lift it Then it rolls and gets stuck

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 20, 2015 09:10AM

Bill - that's a great tip, thank you! I will pay closer attention to that on my next one.

Date: March 20, 2015 09:19AM

Any time
I had one get stuck real bad Was a time to get it out

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2015 12:06PM

In your earlier post, you stated that the tape was stuck in the "blank."

I assume that you meant to say that the tape was stuck in the "grip" and would interfere with the grip going on to the blank?

Glad that it worked out for you.

Bill has a good point about always putting the tape on in the same direction. Then, whenever turning the mandrel separate from the grip, be sure that the mandrel is turned in the direction to slick down the tape, rather than cause it to unwind.

When it comes to removing threaded rod or a mandrel, I use my 1/2 inch variable speed drill. It will have plenty of power to remove any thing from a grip.

By the way, I have had the same issue when drilling out preformed grips for the right size. With some grips it is possible that residue builds up the grip and makes it very difficult to remove or get around. So, patience is the key to any of this work.

Good luck

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 20, 2015 12:38PM

Roger,

The op wrapped tape around a mandrel then inserted the taped mandrel in his blank. He's turning cork grips on the blank, not directly on a mandrel.

Posted by: Nate Nelson (204.153.60.---)
Date: March 20, 2015 01:43PM

John - thans for clarifying.

Roger - I was turning it down on the blank, I wish it had only been in the cork as that would have been easier to shove out! This was a scare I don't want to experience again, I almost lost a small screw inside the butt as well and thought for a second I was going to have to cut the blank down 6"...

For people looking to get into turning custom handles, please use my experience as a lesson, using top quality cork and a SCV blank is not a good way to learn! Stupid newbie error...

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2015 02:22PM

Nate,
If the tape was inside the blank and if you did not have to do any more turning with the blank, there is really no reason to remove the tape.

But, of course, if you still had to do more rod turning, then the tape needed to come out.

When I used to turn on the blank, I generally tried to use solid fiberglass rods to fit inside the blanks. Then, I would chuck the rod into the drill chuck and while spinning it with the drill would taper the fiberglass rod to fit the inside of the blank.

But of course for the large blanks, I would also use tape to build up the diameter of the rod for blank turning.

Glad that it is all working out.

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2015 06:40AM

Nate Nelson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks everyone for the tips. I was able to get
> it out this morning thankfully!

Care to share what worked for you?

Date: March 21, 2015 11:50AM

Mike - it ended up being pretty redneck. I had a piece of fiberglass ice rod blank that I taped tightly to a wood screw. I inserted into the butt of the blank and twisted until it loosened the tape from the sides. Once it was loose I used a coat hanger to loosen it up more and than tapped it on the ground, it eventually came it cleanly but it took a while and I actually had a screw come off inside the blank I had to back out with a screwdriver....I thought the blank was a goner when that happened.

I will be much more careful next time and will be using different tape, likely the blue painters tape as an arbor on the mandrel.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 21, 2015 12:30PM

if the section of rod is open on both ends plug one end largest dia. plug with a cork an fill with DA let set then fish it out with a hooked coat hanger , if not open on both ends fill with DA
let set am then fish it out .

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster