I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with blank that is less than one half inch in diameter at the butt?
Posted by: Mike Wiles (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2015 07:02PM

Hi Guys,

I need a Medium Heavy Bass fishing rod blank that is less than one half inch in diameter at the butt?

I would like a light ~2 oz, high modulus blank that is 6' 6" long. Cost goal is $100 or less...

The rod will mostly be used for worm or shaky head fishing.

Suggestions Please?

Thanks,
Mikew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with blank that is less than one half inch in diameter at the butt?
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2015 07:52PM

You have a pretty steep wish list, but I think there is a winner out there. Just out of curiosity, why does the butt need to be less than 1/2"?

Take a look at the Batson Immortal 6'8" 1/4-3/4 casting blank. The spec says Medium power, but it has the line/lure specs of a typical MH worm rod. Take 2" off the butt to make it 6'6", and you are good to go, and I'm willing to bet if you order from Utmost that the price tag is going to be in line as well.

Joe

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 10:08PM

Bushido MB6810/17 sounds a lot like the Immortal, clearly meets the cost objective. Bushidos are very nice blanks.

Date: March 19, 2015 11:27PM

Hi Guys,

My customer has a physical limitation and need to hold the rod in the crook of his arm. Larger banks are difficult for him to hold.

I will check out your rod blank suggestions.

Thank you very much

Mikew

Date: March 20, 2015 12:01AM

Hi Joe,
Do you have a model number for the Batson Immortal 6'8" 1/4-3/4 casting blank?

Have you built a rod using this blank>

MIkew

Posted by: Garry Thornton (76.172.107.---)
Date: March 20, 2015 12:05AM

Recently I received the new Anglers Workshop catalog.
They carry blanks from a large number of rod companies and all the specs are listed.
The catalog is available online.
You can compare all the most popular brands on one site from the comfort of your computer.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2015 07:19AM

Mike,

Here you go, IMMC68M. Good luck with the build!

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2015 04:03PM

Here is the link to the Casting blanks: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
IMMC68M Titanium Chrome 6'8" 1 10-17lb. 1/4-3/4oz. 0.480 5.0 F M 1.9oz. All purpose Bass/Jig and pig/Worm plastics/Carolina Rig

Here is another option for the spinning blanks: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
You could also do this.. Its a great shaky head rod. RainShadow Immortal Bass spinning blank.
IMMS68M Titanium Chrome 6'8" 1 8-14lb. 1/4-5/8oz. 0.460 4.5 F M 1.5oz. All purpose Bass

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: March 20, 2015 10:47PM

Hi Ryan,

I see that the Titanium Chrome is an RX8 rod blank. I have fished with the RX7 blanks. Would you say that the RX8 blanks are much
stiffer than the RX7 blanks?

Thanks for the info on Rainshadow blanks.

Mikew

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2015 11:36PM

Mike,
Lets put it this way.
After building a bunck of RX7 rods as well as a bunch of RX8 rods, I won't go back to building RX7 rods.

I don't know if the word "stiffer" is the correct word. There are many different RX8 blanks and depending on which one you purchase, they can be soft, medium hard, flexible or stiff.

The one thing that is certainly very clear. The RX8 blanks for the comparable RX7 blanks are considerably lighter. i.e. the RX8 blanks are just really nice and light in your hand.

But, the RX7 is still a very good blank, and for some purposes does a better job than the RX8 blank.

You just need to select the correct blank for the type and style fishing you are going to do.

Good luck

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 25, 2015 10:35AM

The RX8's are High Modulus vs RX7's being Intermediate Modulus. Just like Roger Wilson said, I don't know if the word stiffer is the correct word either. It all depends on the blank model and the type of fishing that your
doing. Remember the RX8's have been discontinued for the exception of the Salmon/Steelhead rods. The new Immortals are a super charged version of the RX8. Generation 2 of the designs, materials, etc..

Was there a particular model that you were inquiring about?

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster