I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
fuji's thread
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 07:23AM

What is the - M - on fuji's thread spools mean if it is Meter then on a 100M spool ya get 109.361 329 83 yard Not bad
Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 09:22AM by bill boettcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fuji's thread
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 09:35AM

Meters. Correct.

Date: March 19, 2015 09:41AM

Thanks Jim
So on the 100M spools ya get 9 plus more yards Cool

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 06:53PM

Last Fall there was some discussion here that the Ultrra Poly was more expensive. Given the factt that it has more line per spool the price of the Ultra Poly there is almost no difference.

I used basic pricing from some our sponsers websites and compared the "per Yard" price for A thread, not the spool price. This is what I found.

Fuji thread........$0.274 per yard
Pro Wrap..........$0.255 per yard
Fishhawk..........$0.250 per yard

Not much of a diference in price at all, and surly not enough difference to sway someone one way or the other for that reason !!

Tom

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 06:55PM by Tom Wewerka.

Date: March 19, 2015 07:27PM

You are right
I was just wondering how there thread is
Have you used it ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 19, 2015 07:39PM

No I haven't tried it yet. Good question though I too would like to hear some feedback on how it is to use and how it looks as well.

Tom

Posted by: Craig Johnson1 (---.up.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 08:59PM

Bill,

I bought a couple test spools in size A black. The thread diameter is smaller than say Gudebrod or Fishhawk size A. Did a few wraps with it. It cuts very easily which is nice when finishing a wrap.

Regards,

Craig

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2015 02:32AM

Hello,

I was wondering too as the spools seem narrower, but taller, than a usual 100 yd spool.

Have had no problems with the metallics I've tried. They don't fray or come apart, and stay coiled on the spool when cut.

Wish they made more colors (metallic) to choose from.

-chad

Posted by: Brian Babcock (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: March 20, 2015 12:36PM

I just finished wrapping a rod with Fuji's new thread. This was my first try with this product. All I can say is - WOW! They nailed it! Like a lot of you, I have been searching for a replacement for Gudebrod. Found lots that came close but all seemed to have their issues. This Fuji thread, in my opinion, is better than Gudebrod. It lays down perfect, it's super clean to cut, it has zero "fuzzies", and it climbs the guide foot better than any thread I've ever used. I tried it on both prepped feet and non-prepped. Excellent on both applications. I haven't applied the finish yet but I will be doing several rods later today. I'll post again with my observations with that. Here's a side note. I wrap approx. 500 rods a year. Most are steelhead / salmon rods and average about 11 guides per. It takes me 60 minutes, give or take a couple minutes, to wrap each rod. I just completed this last rod in 50 minutes. The only change was the thread. I have 9 rods to wrap today - that's 90 minutes of labor I'll save! Gotta love that! Now hopefully the finish has no issues......

Brian

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.unas.al.charter.com)
Date: March 21, 2015 07:25AM

I purchased several large spools of the size A nylon and now have probably a half dozen rods wrapped and finished with it. It is different than Gudebrod but in my opinion it is very good thread.

It definitely is slightly more woven than Gudebrod...it stays rounder even when burnished. Seems to be composed of more, smaller strands. I have not mic'd it, but as Craig observes above it is a little finer than Gudebrod and other brands' size A. It has the 'right' amount of stretch and the color and weave is EXTREMELY CONSISTENT.

I have had problems with some of the new threads showing obvious inconsistency in color or twist from spool to spool or even within the same spool. I'm not talking about something you need a spectrometer or gas chromatograph to observe...I mean bad dye jobs. That drives me NUTS but is not a problem with this thread. It also does not leach any dye out into your epoxy when finishing. This stuff is colorfast.

It definitely tends to cut / break without fuzzies as Brian noted which is an added bonus. I wrap on an older Renzetti, but this stuff is quiet and smoooooth and it appears to me it will work with any thread tension device by hand or under power. All in all a great product in my opinion.

My hope is that they come out with more colors...that is the only drawback I see so far. Hope this helps. Try some and let us know what you think!

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.220.---)
Date: March 22, 2015 10:15AM

Being a rookie, you can take my comments with a grain of salt, but I like it. I've completed two builds, one with a holo wrap in the split. It cuts clean, leaves no fuzzies, burnishes nicely, packs tight, and accepts finish readily. The holo wrap really popped. I was going for something a bit more subtle, but it looked good enough I left it.

Date: March 22, 2015 02:04PM

Brian and Bill thanks for the input. Some really good information there. Sounds like really good thread and like Bill suggested I bought 6 spools to try out. One of the main reasons i have held off is because of the lack of colors. When you are trying to match older rods you built for someone the first thing they will say is, Hey the thread color is different. Not an issue on new builds and going to be worth giving it a try and if it is as good as I expect, product foming from Fuji I will be pleased.

Tom

Date: March 23, 2015 01:52AM

I have now had the chance to apply finish to this thread. My initial exuberance with this product has been somewhat tempered. I can't say enough about how "clean" this thread is - no issues at all with imperfections. It is an absolute pleasure to work with. But,...... If anyone (like myself) is looking for a thread that is "non NCP' and will darken to a translucent deep colour, you'll be disappointed. This thread darkens somewhat but not nearly as much as the nylons that I am accustomed to. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it's just something to be aware of. Even the light colours, on a dark blank, stay opaque. I could be OK with this if Fuji were to offer up some more really dark colours - blue, green, orange, red, etc. These colours now are what you're used to seeing before finish but are not nearly as dark after finish. I would suggest that you test the thread before going "all in".

Brian

Date: March 23, 2015 09:40AM

Brian, I wonder if maybe you didn't grab a spool of NOCP by mistake. Our experience with the thread is a nice, deep rich DARKENED color with the ULTRA.

Date: March 23, 2015 10:50AM

Hi Jim.

No, I actually thought that maybe something was amiss at first as well. I checked 4 different colours with similar results. I have all colours in both "NOCP" and "ULTRA" in stock so comparing is quite easy. Don't get me wrong, it definitely darkens - just not as much as nylon. I could send you "before and after" pics comparing Gudebrod A245 to Fuji Ultra A008. Both start off very similar shades of royal blue, but after finish, quite different. I also compared Gudebrod A5896 to Fuji Ultra A003. Same result. I then ran some tests with lighter colours to see the translucent qualities. I tried Fuji Ultra A005 (red) & Fuji Ultra 015 (orange). Although they darkened, they didn't go translucent. I don't think it's a labelling issue as the NOCP looks quite different.

I want to be clear that I'm not complaining. I love this stuff! I was just a bit surprised at how it took the finish. I have always tied my dark blue blanks with Gudebrod A245. It practically blends into the blank. The Fuji Ultra A008 is most definitely a lighter, more visible blue. I am taking some finished rods to Dealers tomorrow with this new colour. I'm anxious to see the reaction. Who knows? Maybe they'll love it! I certainly hope so.......

Brian

Date: March 23, 2015 05:19PM

I would like to see the photos. Send to info@anglersresource.net

Thanks

Posted by: Lindsay PELLETIER (---.236.147.77.rev.sfr.net)
Date: March 23, 2015 07:51PM

Hello,

Jim Ising:
Since FUJI thread size A is more finer than others brands of threads, is size B thread is program or not ? Please.

Thank you.

Date: March 23, 2015 10:53PM

Jim

I'll take some photos in the morning under natural light. I won't post them here - mainly because I don't know how!! I'll e-mail them to you and maybe you can post them if you see fit. I'm sure there might be some interested folks who would like to see this. I compared the following:

1) Gudebrod A245 vs Fuji Ultra A008 on a dark blue blank.
2) Gudebrod A5896 vs Fuji Ultra A003 on a dark green blank.
3) Gudebrod A335 vs Fuji Ultra A005 on a black blank.
4) Pac Bay "Dark Orange" A vs Fuji Ultra A015 on a black blank.

Although I did my best to pick comparable colours, they aren't exact comparisons. The blues are really close. As are the reds. The Fuji green is definitely lighter to begin with. As is the Fuji orange. It still gives an idea of the degree to which they darken and become translucent.

As I've said numerous times already, I love this new Fuji thread! I just wish there was a more extensive colour selection.

Brian

Date: March 24, 2015 09:16AM

There is no size "B" in the near future, we need a complete color selection for size "A" and "D" first.

Look forward to the pics Brian and thanks!

Date: March 25, 2015 05:39PM

Brian, thanks for the pics. Your results were similar to ours but perhaps more pronounced in some colors. We thought it was a good thing that the Ultra colors held onto a little more color when finished and from what you have said you agree. The colors are surprisingly still very strong once coated but still have the nice translucent look of a thread with no color preservative. The variance in COATED colors when compared to Gudebrod and others is something we should have probably made more clear to folks. There is a difference and we are sorry if we lead anyone astray in trying match colors. Ultra Red is "redder" when coated as are blues, oranges, purples and others. The color is stronger, richer, more vibrant, but it NOT similar to NCP. We hope it's "just right".

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster