I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pen or marker for writing on blanks
Posted by: Joe Coughlin (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 03, 2015 08:41AM

I've decided that the decal that came with the blank I'm building on is too big and I don't want it on my rod so I'd like to instead write the model number and specs on by hand. Is there a pen or marker that i can write on the blank with and then put finish over? The blank is painted a gloss black and I'd like to write with silver or white lettering.

Thanks!

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pen or marker for writing on blanks
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2015 09:30AM

Joe,

I have had the best results with a speed ball pen point and gold leaf paint. I believe I've read on here that a lot of guys use Testors paint, in lieu of the gold leave

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2015 09:40AM

this may help
[www.flexcoat.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2015 10:12AM

In addition, Speed Ball has come out with a new acrylic ink that works very well.

I have used a lot of Testor's model paint in the past, in both Silver and Gold with excellent results. The important thing when using any of the paint for lettering, is to be sure to do a very good job in cleaning the pen nibs frequently with a cleaner that really cleans the pen very well. The Testor's paint thinner, or similar type cleaner work very well.

The one advantage of the acrylic ink is that it is water soluble and cleans more easily with soap and water. But, again, the use of their thinner works well to clean the nibs. If you leave any paint or ink at all in the pen nib, and you can't clean it; it is time for anew nib.

[www.speedballart.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]
[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

You can get most of these products at your local craft store, or big box store in the craft department or the toy department.

If you don't find the quill pens, you can generally find them at any good art supply store.

When you get a good pen, take care of it and keep it clean and it will last for many years.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 03, 2015 10:43AM

Whatever you decide to use, test it before putting it on the rod. Some will smear with CP, some with epoxy. One thing I've found that works with the inks I've tried is to mask the rod so spray goes only where you want it, and spray the lettering with a fixative like Papilio or others available in art stores or even hardware stores. But try it to prove it does what you want before putting it on the rod.

I've not had a lot of luck with testors, seems too thick to flow well, but others swear by it. I like Bombay India inks, but you need to use fixative with them and other india inks

Posted by: Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear (---.crescommwifi.com)
Date: March 03, 2015 12:16PM

Some blank manufactures will void the warranty if their decal is not affixed to blank.

Date: March 03, 2015 01:03PM

I have recently picked up Pentel Sunburst metallic Gel pens Gold and silver They work well
If you have any clear decal paper you could wright on it then coat Before putting on the blank if writting on a blank is to much of a pain

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Popola (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2015 01:56PM

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'd like to know which manufacturers would void a warranty if the decal is not attached to the blank.
Rick

Posted by: Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear (---.crescommwifi.com)
Date: March 03, 2015 03:52PM

I ran into this when I attempted to warranty a G Loomis blank several years ago. Needless to say I had a very unhappy customer and I ended up buying him another blank out of my pocket., from then on I made sure that the manufacture label was attached,. Before I left manufacture label off I would read their warranty including the fine print .

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2015 04:26PM

Get Bit will make you a label for about $5.00.
I'm sure there are others who do the same, but I have only dealt with Get Bit.

Last year I bought a straight pen with a set of nibs at Michael's. They also sold me some nice gold ink/paint.
I am no draftsman, and my hands are a bit shaky, but it didn't take too much practice for me to gain enough confidence to write out a dedication.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 03, 2015 05:29PM

I have a confession, I remembered wrong on Bombay India ink. I tested their white today and found it does not smear with either Flex Coat CP or Flex Coat wrapping epoxy. Very handy. I have another brand of black which is called waterproof but smears with Flex Coat CP.

Date: March 03, 2015 06:14PM

Maybe it will work better with Fixitive or a laquer clear spray This way you do not have to BRUSH it on
I always heat several times to get any ink dry Then you may even be better to let it dry over night If you brush anything over it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 03, 2015 06:40PM

I use a nib pen and Testors Model Master metallic paints (slightly thinned). The Model Master has a finer metallic pigment than the regular Testors model paint.
Rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster