I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX MB843 question
Posted by: Derrek Keller (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2015 06:19PM

Building my first bass rod on this blank. Can anyone recommend which reel seat size to go with? Also making it a split grip. What distance should I use from the butt of the rod to where the reel seat starts? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX MB843 question
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2015 07:25PM

Casting rod or spinning rod?

Personally, I prefer 16mm casting seats with the blank exposed, but not a split seat on blanks like this. When ordering, you order the ID that closely matches the blank where the seat will go and ream for a final fitting. For spinning seats, I ditch the seat all together and use a split woven graphite Tennessee handle with the reel wrapped not the grip. If a spinning seat is a must, I either use a 18mm seat or will wrap a plate style seat on the split TN handle. The 18mm seat has an OD of a little less than an inch, and fills my small hands much better than the typical 17mm seats you see used on bass rods at the store. If you have large hands, you might want to go even larger on a spinning seat.

My personal rods of this length will measure about 9.5" from butt to the trigger of the casting seat of the reel stem on a spinning rod, so about 9" from butt to start of casting seat. The measurement will depend on whether your spinning seat is up-locking or down-locking.

Of course these are my personal preferences, but yours may be completely different. Some find the split seats more comfortable, some like a large non exposed blank seat on a casting rod etc.

Posted by: Derrek Keller (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2015 07:36PM

Casting build using Fuji deluxe casting seat not the exposed kind. Thanks

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2015 08:28PM

The distance is up to you. Whether it's 9-10-11 or 12 inches. Measure the grip on one of your favorite rods and if that length suits you go for it. If you're using a standard Fuji reel seat without the cut out glue in a Flex Coat arbor into the seat and after its cured ream the arbor to fit the blank at the position you choose.

Lance
[swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2015 02:39AM

Because of the way they are held, my casting rod handles are generally a bit shorter than my spinning handles.
In the end, length will depend on what you will do with the rod.
As a rule of thumb, 12 inches is very long, IMO, and eight is quite short for me.

However on a rod for Jerk baits I like a shorter handle so that it doesn't bang into my forearm all the time.

I have big hands and long arms, I normally want something around 9 or 10 inches, but testing is the secret of a rod builders life...grin.

If you don't have or don't want to use Flex Coat, or Fuji arbors, tape works just fine.
Size 16 or 17 are both okay for bass size rods.
You probably don't want to go larger because any reel that needs a bigger reel seat than that will make your rod top heavy.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2015 09:40AM

Derrek,

I have built a lot of the MHX MB843 rods for my customers. IMHO they are a super "all around" excellent blank. I use the Fuji ACS exposed blank reel seat and place it 9 1/2" up from the butt of the rod. You could use a split grip, although they are a little more difficult to mount on the blank. After building several for clients and listening to how much they liked the rod, I built one for personal use. It has a great tip and plenty of backbone. I use it for about everything: Senkos, Worming large & small, Jigs etc. You've made a great choice for your first rod...enjoy!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Ben Eipert (198.14.255.---)
Date: March 03, 2015 10:24PM

I used a size 16 ACS, My rear grip was a total of 9 inches. Loved the rod and it was very versatile

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster