I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another guide size and placement question
Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lnse4.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 28, 2015 05:13AM

I've gotten confused with an earlier thread where I asked about some Fuji guides so will start again.
The rod will be a cut down G Loomis GLX MB783. I'm cutting around 5 inches off the butt so the length will be around 73 inches or close to 185 cm.
The reel being used at this point is a Stradic 2500.
My current choice of guides is a TKLSG 20H, TKLSG 12H, TKLSG 8H then 3 TKTSG 7 guides to a 7 tip.
I'm having trouble using the Guide placement software and this type of train is a new one on me.
Is the reduction too harsh, should I replace the TKLSG 8H with a normal TKLSG 8J, replace it entirely with a 4th TKTSG 7 and so on.

If it helps, the rear grip will be around 15 cm to the reel.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Cheers, Mark.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another guide size and placement question
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 10:01AM

This info is easy to do Should give you everthing you need

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 11:34AM

Are you sure you need size 7 running guides and tip? They need be no larger than what is required to pass connections to your satisfaction (determine by testing with intended connections). Also, I've built a lot of rods with two reduction guides, the rest runners all the same size, and they work fine. The link Bill provided will help a great deal.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 12:47PM

For a general purpose rod to handle all types of line, you have a perfect setup.
Build it and enjoy.

Roger

Date: February 28, 2015 12:47PM

For a general purpose rod to handle all types of line, you have a perfect setup.
Build it and enjoy.

Roger

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lnse4.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 01, 2015 05:10AM

Thanks for the help. I'll check it out a bit more and see how it goes.
It does sound like I need more running guides based on that article. Does that sound right?

Date: March 01, 2015 01:39PM

Mark,
You only need more running guides, if the line does not follow the general shape of the loaded blank. Tape the guides in place, place the reel into the reel seat and lock it in place. Then, thread the line through the guides and tip. Finally, pulling from the tip, load the rod to about 3/4 capacity and check the shape of the line flow running through the guides. If you have a long straight section of the line that does not follow the curve of the blank, you need a guide in that location. Often adding one or two more guides means moving every guide on the train to get the correct balance.

Don't add guides, just because you are building the rod and can add as many guides as you wish. Only use enough guides to let the line follow the contour of the loaded blank.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2015 03:42PM

This should help with the Static Loading
[anglersresource.net]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 02, 2015 09:30AM

Downoad our online catalog (anglersresource.net) and read/study pages 46 and 47. It will help A LOT.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster