I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson and PacBay CCF numbers
Posted by: Tamas Toth (---.83.13.71.pool.invitel.hu)
Date: February 28, 2015 03:59AM

Hi Mates!

I'm on choosing the blank for my first rodbuilding. It's going to be a 9' 6wt fly rod, for streamer fishing. I have only a few blanks I can buy for reasonable price, but unfortunately in our country I have a very limited possibility to cast test them.
I have measured the CCF of my favourite fly rod, and it has a CCF of 81-85, depending on the line used.
I would like to ask is someone of You could tell me the CCF numbers of some of the following built rods:

- Batson RX6 9' 6wt 4pc
- Batson RX7 9' 6wt 2pc
- Batson RX7 9' 6wt 4pc
- PacBay Rainforest II 9' 6wt 4pc
- PacBay Quickline 9' 6 wt. I know that its CCF is 89 in the catalogue, but I'm interrested in the CCF when the rod is finished.

Than You for your helping.
I'm sorry if this has occured before, but I was unable to find it on the site.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson and PacBay CCF numbers
Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.coucou-networks.fr)
Date: February 28, 2015 06:20AM

Hi Tamas!
Just a remark : the CCF of a rod does not depend on the line, there no line involved when you measure it.
If familiar with all the blank series you mention. I didn't measure le CCF of the rod I built but I'm fairly certain that the Quickline is the only one that will match your expectation. RX6/RX7 are way lower.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 09:18AM

Forecast RX6 F866-4 Rod 102 "6 wt fly" Built as a spinning rod (ERN=7, AA = 65) Don't have CCF. I would expect guides to lower CCF, but have no data as to whether it is significant or not. Finished rod CCS numbers are very close to blank CCS.

I agree with Laurent's assessment of Quicklines. They are quite fast, light, overall great blanks. And, they are quite handsome in gloss black. best kept secret in rodbuilding.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2015 09:51AM

The addition of any weight will indeed lower the CCF. The more weight and the closer to the tip it's added, the more the CCF will decrease.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: March 01, 2015 03:15PM

I don't have the rods you're asking for, but I just measured an RX7 9'6" 7wt blank:
ERN: 8.4, AA: 67, CCF:78 (as an 8wt). With a 7wt line CCFshould be in the 83 range.

Posted by: Tamas Toth (213.253.200.---)
Date: March 03, 2015 04:27AM

Okay Guys, thank You for your advice!

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: March 04, 2015 12:52PM

Just to clarify, the CCF of rod cannot be changed by increasing or decreasing the line weight fished or the weight used to obtain the CCF. This is because the CCF measurement, by definition, is a function of the rod's ERN value and a specific amount of weight to be used (in this case 210 grains) to measure CCF for that ERN. If understand the CCS documentation correctly, the value stated above using the 7 wt line would be called CCF-1. All are welcome to correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: March 04, 2015 01:46PM

Geoff Staples Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just to clarify, the CCF of rod cannot be changed
> by increasing or decreasing the line weight fished
> or the weight used to obtain the CCF. This is
> because the CCF measurement, by definition, is a
> function of the rod's ERN value and a specific
> amount of weight to be used (in this case 210
> grains) to measure CCF for that ERN. If
> understand the CCS documentation correctly, the
> value stated above using the 7 wt line would be
> called CCF-1. All are welcome to correct me if
> I'm wrong. Thanks.

Yes, CCF is measured using the appropriate weight based on the ERN.
If you read through the article, CCF+1 and CCF-1 are the terms used to measure how the "feel" of the rod changes with one heavier, and one lighter line weight.
ERN=ELN is really just a suggestion and there is nothing stopping you from measuring CCF+1.5 or other variants to find the line that might match the characteristics you are looking for.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: March 04, 2015 04:03PM

I agree that the feel of a particular rod can be modified by changing the line weight. But, I don't think that a CCF 70 rod can be made to feel like a CCF 85 rod by dropping line weights. That would be like saying an F350 can be made to feel like a Ferarri by simply cutting weight off of the F350 until the power to weight ratios match.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: March 04, 2015 04:49PM

Okay.
I tested a Beulah Platinum 9'9" 7wt rod that tests at CCF=84 and CCF+1 = 79. I used that rod as reference for my comment above.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster