I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod wrapper advice
Posted by: Jon Laterza (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 11:30PM

I was thinking of upgrading from my home made rod wrapper to the system being sold by mudhole with the aluminum track and soon to be upgraded to power wrapper option. I enjoy wrapping by hand and would probably not go with power option. Here is what bothers me about their setup, there is no way to adjust height of rod supports,so if using it with rod dryer option,rod could not be leveled.....which would seem to be problematic possibly causing epoxy to run....opinions anyone

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod wrapper advice
Posted by: Garry Thornton (76.172.107.---)
Date: February 28, 2015 12:16AM

The dryer seems to come with a support.
Once the butt is in the chuck, I suspect you would move the support down the blank until you find the level.
In the worst case, a few pennies would raise the low end...

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 10:07AM

Better to have supports that can be adjusted

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2015 10:33AM

It's also better to drive a Ferrari and date a millionairess, nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store but sometimes you have to work with what you have.
The question wasn't what's better, it was how to level a tapered rod using supports with a set height.

Date: February 28, 2015 10:53AM

Since this is home made maybe you can do something like this One piece sliding on another Used wing nuts
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jon Laterza (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 12:02PM

Think I'm leaning towards Bills advice, better to have supports that can be adjusted. Mudhole setup seems a good deal, but may be better to spend a little more money and get something that doesn't need to be engineered to what you want it to do. Looking at pacbay wrapper. I thought I saw it somewhere without motor,is it possible to buy it without motor?

Date: February 28, 2015 12:52PM

I believe you can get just the stands with wheels Check around and check on prices

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 01:18PM

Jon,
A picture of the rod rests that I use every day for wrapping rods.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I suppose that my build costs on these rests were about $5 each.

The basic wrapper that I use for Ice rods. A simple wood base with a slot milled in it to hold the rod rests and a 24v dc power unit to turn the rod. I have also built the associated foot pedal and power supply for the power unit.

I have built many many rods using this system, and it is simple reliable and inexpensive.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

You don't have to spend a lot of money if you are willing to spend a bit of time to make your own wrapper.

I have made several different rod rests over the years, and find the cantilevered style with the rod being suspended in mid air works best for me. One can work directly under a rest if needed for wrapping.

Good luck

If you have any questions, drop me an e-mail or give me a call.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2015 01:24PM

My thinking is in line with that of Garry's. Based solely on the photos on Mudhole's website, the center of the chuck on the drying motor appears to be the same height as the bottom of the V in the support stand. Sliding the support closer to or further away from the butt is going to level the blank to some extent, But you'll never be able to level it along its entire length. The blank is tapered.

Level the blanks center line ....... yes.

Level the blanks outer skin ...... no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2015 01:31PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 01, 2015 03:27PM

Hi Jon,

Thanks for considering the CRB Rod Building System (RBS). The support stands, rod dryer and soon to be release rod wrapper all use the same stands and are all designed so the mounting of the dryer and power wrapper motors are aligned center line of a blank with the V in the support stands. This provides a straight center line of the blank. Only on blanks with extreme tapers are you going have to adjust the height of the support stands to keep the epoxy from accumulating on one end, in our testing less than 10% of the blanks (large saltwater). If this is the case you can simply raise the support stand with a few papers or pennies as stated above. (David said the same thing above.)

The beauty of the CRB RBS is the 1) simplicity, 2) affordability, 3) flexibility, 4) ability to grow the system as you grow as a rod builder (start with a the HWS-1 hand wrapper, add the metal base, add a dryer, add a power head, add spine finder (static deflection tool also), add an epoxy mixer, add tool trays, etc - once you have the metal base how you mount the different tools in up to you.). We are going to be coming out with a video that highlights the flexibility of this RBS system so you can better understand how the system works.

In the past customers would spend $90 on a wooden hand wrapper only to find it had a lot of limitations 1) plate thread tension which played heck with metallic thread, 2) un-movable supports which knock off guides, 3) no constant thread tension so you can not reverse to fix cross threads, 4) a thread feed slider which binds, 5) velcro blank holders that don't provide tension to the blank and need adjustment, 6) a wrapper that does not break down for easy storage, etc, etc. All of these items and more improvements are addressed with the CRB Hand Wrapping System (HWS-1) at less than half the price.

In the past a customer would out grow the limitations of a wooden hand wrapper and have to set it aside (or toss it out) and spend $300 on a power wrapper and have to learn a new wrapping technique to go with the new power wrapper (total spent about $400). Now with the CRB RBS the customer can just add to the HWS system they already have by purchasing a metal base, power head (and/or dryer) if they want for less than $200 additional - AND use the same wrapping technique they started with. If the customer wants they can add the spine finder (static deflection) tool, tool trays, magnifier/light, epoxy mixer - all mountable on the metal base. The key is the metal base - all these tools are designed to mount onto the metal base with a sliding T-Bolt and symmetrical mounting channels - but many of the tools can also just be used on any flat surface. This provides great flexibility and almost endless mounting configurations.

Think of the CRB Rod Building System as the "Shop Smith" System for rod builders. A great & well thought out entry/beginner hand wrapper which can grow with you as your grow your rod building skills (and save you money too).

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2015 12:15PM

As I suspected and as was confirmed by the above post, the center lines of the dryer motor chuck, and accompanying support stands are of the same height. Also as I said in my earlier post, you will never be able to level the blank over its entire length.

In actuality, trying to level any plane other than the center line of an equally tapered object, will result in the effect of doubling the angle of the taper opposite of the side that has been leveled. Thereby creating an even more problematic out of level condition than would result from using a level center line position.

In measuring several of my freshwater rods, you're talking between .004 - .006 of an inch taper over one inch of blank run. Inconsequential to say the least.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2015 02:59PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2015 02:33PM

With most freshwater long rods, I generally have between 1/8th and 3/8th of an inch change in height on the rod support to maintain a "level" blank.

Be safe

Date: March 02, 2015 03:57PM

If you get a blank or rod that has a slight curve to it You get the first have level But the tip tends to pop up as the rod turns I find in that case it lays on the two wheels and the third wheel holds it down so it runs true

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 09, 2015 10:09PM

Hey guys,thanks for taking the time to jump in on this post. I have a few more questions for you:
1-will there be an upgrade for the chuck available,or will existing chucks fit this system?
2-will this unit be able to turn cork?
3- will there be any lathe accessories for turning cork available?

Date: March 09, 2015 10:09PM

Hey guys,thanks for taking the time to jump in on this post. I have a few more questions for you:
1-will there be an upgrade for the chuck available,or will existing chucks fit this system?
2-will this unit be able to turn cork?
3- will there be any lathe accessories for turning cork available?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster