I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What fly guides to use?
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2015 08:29PM

Hey guys so I am confused as to what guides I should get for a fly build I am doing for a customer. It is a 9ft 10wt that he will be using for salmon and steelhead fishing. I was told to go for oversized guides to pass the connection knots. Also to use double footers all the way up. So I guess what I am not sure on is what size guides do I need to order, and what kind of guides? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What fly guides to use?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2015 08:32PM

Never use oversized guides - always use the proper sized guides.

The proper sized guides are those that are the smallest that will easily pass the line and any required connections and hold up to the task at hand. The only way to ascertain the proper size is to put a reel and line on the rod and try it.

If you are unable to do that, then you will have to rely upon the experiences of those who have used similar and can advise you. Hopefully some will chime in here. You need to have some idea of the type guide you will be using, as different types are sized differently.

Posted by: P. Wayne Hart (---.cpe.citywest.ca)
Date: February 27, 2015 08:44PM

I think I saw a later discussion on your previous post about using spinning and fly reels? If so, I am not the one to recommend guides. If it is for fly fishing, something like: 16mm stripper, 12mm second, then size 6 and 5 snake guides to the end, maybe a couple of 4's near the top. I have only built spey rods over the last couple of years so someone else may have better guidance on the single hander.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 08:55PM

If doing snake guides I would do size 3's from the tip down and 7 of them. Then do a size 12, and size 20 stripping guides. If going with single foot guides I would go with a size 6 for the first seven and still stick with the same size stripping guides.

Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2015 09:05PM

Thanks guys! So I talked to him and the spinning is for when he doesnt have room to cast, he basically just pitches with the spinning reel on then.

Thanks Jimmy. I noticed on MHX's guide spacing they recommended 11 guides. You think I would be ok though to go with only 9 guides instead? How would you space them with 9 guides? Sorry for all the questions, I have built a good number of other rods, but this is my first fly rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 09:14PM

Start with 9 - 10 guides And then static test the rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 09:37PM

The people at Mudhole know their products and rod building very well. I would not hesitate to follow their suggestions and charts, including guide sizes, numbers, and placement.

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 09:45PM

Just go with 10 guides total plus the tip top and start with a 16 stripper. When to the tip don't go any smaller than a 4. Even if he's only going to be "pitching" with the rod still set it up to cast a standard fly line. The pitching does not matter cause you can do that with 5 guides on the rod. Just set it up to work for what it was designed to do. Most fly rodders will use a weight forward line on a rod like that so don't go to small on the guide sizes due to a standard weight forward line will be 100 to 120 ft so some line will still be in the rod when casting. Also when retrieving the line a good portion of the head will be in the rod so you want as little resistance as possible when making your cast. Also if your customer is going to use braid make sure the guides will handle it.
"thats all I got to say about that"

Dave
East Bay Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Daniel Merrill (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 09:02AM

I build a fair amount of Salmon/Steelhead fly rods, it is my personal favorite type of fishing. The rods I build range from 7wt to 10wt and 9' to 10' 6". I would never build a 9' Salmon rod with only 9 guides, the odds of building a good performer is not in your favor. Why take the short cut?
I would go with 8 or 9 snake guides, then a 12mm & a 16mm stripper for a total of 10 or 11, then static test that assembly.

Personally, I use the heavy wire Snake (brand), double foot guides on these. I also start with a size 2 (3 for 10wt) at the tip end, that has always been large enough to get the job done. But I also highly recommend that the fisher use one of the UV Knot Sense epoxies to smooth out the finished line knots, that stuff helps especially at low temps.
At colder temps (like Salmon & Steelhead fishing) your materials stiffen and you will get a lot of "noise" from casting if your guides are over-sized, just a thought.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2015 10:52PM

Cameron,

Guide spacing would depend a lot on how many pieces the rod is. I still stick with using 9 guides. I don't think it is necessary to use more then that. Like someone else said do a static test and I am sure you will see everything will be fine. The extra guides will just cause un-needed weight. I will assume its a four piece since thats most popular. I would set the guides as follows from the tip to the butt. 6", 12&5/16", 19&7/8", 28&1/8", 36&5/8", 45&3/8", 54&7/16", 64&9/16", 77". Put the bottom of the foot guide on this mark. You can also adjust the last measurement a bit to adjust for the customers arm reach.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster