I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mixing Madeira with other brands
Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 05:55PM

I'm doing my first decorative wrap and using Billy's Royal Blue shade pack. I'd like to add an intermediate color between two colors in the pack. I've got that color in a Prowrap thread. Since I'd like to complete the wrap this weekend I'm asking if it OK to use the Prowrap and Madeira together? If not I'll order what I need and do it next weekend. I've looked at both JoAnn and Hancock and neither stocks Madeira in the store. Thanks

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mixing Madeira with other brands
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 06:26PM

Madeira Thread needs CP over I would think Billy's thread is a regular nylon witch will need CP also to keep the color
So
I am thinking CP over it all will hold the color
Even if Billy's thread is a NCP thread you will still have to CP it all because of the maderia thread
If you want check with Billy to be sure

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike thacker (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 11:13PM

As you know, Billy's shade packs are Madeira and need Cp. After doing a dec wrap, The tie off was done with prowrap and I've used the madeira from the shade pack as an inlay. The whole thing gets Cp so it is not a big deal I think to mix the two. Did not seem to cause me problems

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 11:19PM by mike thacker.

Posted by: Tim Wiehe (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2015 01:42AM

Steve, like Mike said, you just need to CP it. I'am doing 6 rods right now that are a mix of Madeira, metallic and reg. nylon threads. I do it all the time and never had an issue...knock on wood.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 07:47AM

As stated, it's not a problem. The only thing that might happen is the shade or sheen of the nylon thread will differ from the shade packs. If anyone can see that difference and points it out, kick them in the knee.Go ahead and do it

Date: February 28, 2015 08:37AM

Thanks for the replies. This is pretty much what I thought but it is always a good idea to access the brain trust. I'll be wrapping today.

Steve Hartzell

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2015 08:08AM

Wrap away. I use Maderia for trim all the time with NCP and regular nylon. I just apply two coats of Chromaseal before the finish.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: March 01, 2015 10:16PM

Here's the wrap, Used Billy's royal blue shade pack but one of the middle colors is a sulky thread.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Steve Hartzell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2015 10:19PM by Steve Hartzell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster