I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hugger Orange Thread
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2015 04:41PM

I'm getting ready to start a new build, and am seeking out orange thread close to the Hugger/Chevy orange of the late 60's.

I'm looking at PacBay Dark Orange at the moment, thinking it might be close. Does anyone have an idea of a better match?

Thanks,

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hugger Orange Thread
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 05:19PM

[www.google.com]

.I use this color all of the time for rod tips.

521 NCP gudebrod thread.

Date: February 27, 2015 09:13PM

Thanks Roger, any idea where I can track down Gudebrod thread these days?

After a little more searching, I think Fishhawk 221 in NCP seems to be a bit closer to the color than the Pac Bay color.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 09:17PM

pro wrap has about 4 - 5 different colors You may have to get several and test for color

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 28, 2015 02:05PM

Thanks Bill, it looks like I might have to pick up a few different spools to try. The conversion chart looks like Pro Wrap Clay is the one I'm looking for.

Date: February 28, 2015 05:56PM

I find it hard to tell which If you look at all the colors of the cars on Rogers link some look darker and some look very bright ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 28, 2015 09:23PM

Bill,

I thought you might have been one of the ones that had a good idea of which orange to choose. I agree it is tough to tell, but I'm thinking it is the darker reddish orange, probably not all that far from the new Cleveland Browns Orange. The lighter ones look a little closer to the orange on the General Lee from The Dukes of Hazzard and the old Cleveland Browns Orange.

Thanks again,

Joe

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 10:13PM

Joe, I have a box of 12, 50 yrd.spools of size "E" #221 Gudebrod raw nylon and 5 spools of the same color in size "A" ,1200 yard spools. Its ORANGE but I think its the NCP that would nock your eye out. The 50 yrd. spools are foam core and the 1200 yrd spools are wood , unbroken in orignal Gudebrod box.
Also in the mix is a new spool of HOLLAND thread size "C" color # S/2455 , 2400 yds. You can email me if you like.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 10:35PM

Joe, I know what color your looking for, I had a 72' VEGA GT that same color with black stripes. Six moths new and the head gasket went. Very noisey car when you went over R/R crossings and such. Any way, Gudebrod #257 NCP will get you there. I have three 1oz. spools.one is size"A" the other two are size"C", all NCP.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: February 28, 2015 10:44PM

I overlaid the cars over the thread colors - The cars have a nice color and a shine to them because of the clear over just like finish over thread but the thread colors are kind of - Flat - no shine That is why it would be better to get at least 100 yard spools and if you Really want a color of your choise you will have to do some kind of comparison

Just like painting a car Ya got to mix and match to get the right one you are looking for
I do like the lighter colors match it to a portion of the car - in the sunlight !
And to really bring out the color brightly a white paint under helps
I also just pulled up the Browns and they have also changed there colors from a reddish to a more of a Orange color
It depends on what you want to match Try looking up the General Lee and see if you can match up the color of that to one of the squares ???

Joe

looking more at the browns colors I see more of a Brighter Orange then a Burnt orange

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 11:50PM by bill boettcher.

Date: March 01, 2015 07:28AM

Thanks Guys! Dennis I'll send an email shortly.

Joe

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 03, 2015 11:25AM

As an option,

If you search online you may be able to find a pantone, RGB, or other coloring system data on the color you're interested in. With this information, you can contact a company like Madeira, that has literally hundreds of colors, and see if they have a close or exact match to it.

Date: March 03, 2015 06:21PM

John,

Thanks. I tried for a bit to find a pantone, rgb or other conversion, but car manufacturers don't really put that info out there. I reverted the ask an expert option, knowing that someone here had likely matched the color along the line. I think Dennis's box of goodies should have what I need when it arrives. If not, I'll work on extracting the rgb numbers from an image and dig it out.

Joe

Date: March 03, 2015 08:17PM

Buy all the oranges 100 yd spoos Test them on a scrap blank

Be Done With It-- Pick a color
It is not like you are blending in a 68 Charger fender -- And then you should get for a Complete Paint

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster