I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Handle Trim Rings
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 01:17PM

I am new to this forum, but been building rods since about 1975. I build them as gifts mostly, but our TU chapter here in Omaha has just started a chapter of Project Healing Waters, and I am designing a rod for that group. I would like to build the handle from cottonwood bark and highlight it with burnt cork and colored trim rings of the Healing Waters colors. I have tried using the same material used for knife handles, but that is very difficult to machine on my little pen lathe, I also run the problem of unequal sanding of the softer/harder materials. Of course that can be worked around just by using flats to sand with.

So my question to everyone is, what would you recommed I use for trim bands on my handle.

Any and all ideas welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handle Trim Rings
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: February 27, 2015 02:48PM

John, I purchase plexiglass sheets from Delvies Plastics in Utah. They sell them in a variety of colors. I use a hole cutter to cut out circles. Using my small drill press I also get a center hole while cutting the circles. I glue these onto the grip (I use wood and cork for my grips). I use a sanding block to keep the surfaces even. I sand down to 800 grit and then use the finest grade of steel wool (5X) and remove any dust with microfiber tack cloths. When finished, I use a soft buffing wheel to build up a gloss. I often finish my grips with tru-oil or Permagloss to bring out the contrast. Good luck with your project. I also use a midi lathe from Penn State Industries for my lathe which is just bit larger than a pen lathe.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 12:07AM

Michael Blomme Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John, I purchase plexiglass sheets from Delvies
> Plastics in Utah. They sell them in a variety of
> colors. I use a hole cutter to cut out circles.
> Using my small drill press I also get a center
> hole while cutting the circles. I glue these onto
> the grip (I use wood and cork for my grips). I
> use a sanding block to keep the surfaces even. I
> sand down to 800 grit and then use the finest
> grade of steel wool (5X) and remove any dust with
> microfiber tack cloths. When finished, I use a
> soft buffing wheel to build up a gloss. I often
> finish my grips with tru-oil or Permagloss to
> bring out the contrast. Good luck with your
> project. I also use a midi lathe from Penn State
> Industries for my lathe which is just bit larger
> than a pen lathe.
>
> Mike Blomme

Make,

Many thanks. I just looked at Delvies site, what type sheet do you purchase? The have a pretty extensive selection.

Again thanks

John Wright

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: February 28, 2015 03:15AM

John I use the Cast Acrylic Plexiglass in 1/16" and 1/8" thicknesses. I use the 1/16" for the accent on my thread wraps. For example if I use Red/black two color classic thread, I will use 1/8" red and 1/16" black for the trim rings.

Mike Blomme.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2015 10:39AM

I recall seeing an article where the Author was using plastic poker chips. I think it's in the Library.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 10:57AM

Any type of plastics will work Just wash both sides and sand with 220 - 320 to get a good bond

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster