I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What blank for Salmon and Steelhead?
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2015 11:09AM

Hey guys so I have a customer that is wanting me to build him a fly rod for salmon and steelhead fishing. I know nothing about this kind of fishing. So what I know so far is that he wants a 8'5-9ft rod and he uses 10-12lb test line. Is this enough info to decide on a blank? What should I look into? thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What blank for Salmon and Steelhead?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.32.---)
Date: February 27, 2015 11:16AM

I like an 8 wt. for steelhead and a 10 wt. for salmon, so I guess a 9 wt. would be it. Well within his leader requirements. If he is using sinktip lines or heavy flies, I go for a stiffer tipped blank.

Posted by: P. Wayne Hart (---.cpe.citywest.ca)
Date: February 27, 2015 12:17PM

For casting fly's with sink tips I'd recommend a 9', 9 wt graphite, two stripping guides and oversized size snake guides (no single leg). Oversized guides and tip-top help with the large connections between the line and the sink tip. Light wt reels and handles can cause balance problems during the swing - it's helpful to have a little more weight in the butt of the rod if the customer agrees with the need.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 12:24PM

You better ask him if he will be using a spinning reel with this fly blank Been there
8'5-9ft rod and he uses 10-12lb test line A spinning blank will be better priced then a fly blank

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 12:48PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2015 12:52PM

Thanks for the advice guys. So I am looking at the different guides online offered and I feel over my head. When you say oversized, what sizes should I order?

Also I just talked to the customer, he is wanting to use both a fly reel and a spinning reel. Should I just use a spinning reel seat then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 01:09PM by Cameron Johnson.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 05:11PM

I'd look at something like the Mudhole HKS-9 20 inch long Tennessee grip, let's him move the different reels where he wants.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 05:44PM

I would recommend a two handed grip with an up locking reel seat on a 10' or longer blank . That way he can use it for spin or fly. A 9 or 10 wt. would be just right.

Posted by: Roger Pascual (---.statefarm.com)
Date: February 27, 2015 07:42PM

IMO switching from a spinning to a fly reel, he is going to run into problems with the stripper guide.... He would better off building two seperate Rods...

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 09:50PM

Rogers correct He will not be happy with that set up. Build 2 rods or decide which one to build.

I've seen that happen

Dave, East bay Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Daniel Merrill (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 11:46AM

Where will the customer be fishing?
For what kind of Salmon?
There is a HUGE difference between a rod built for silver or pink salmon as opposed to Chinook.
If he is intending on fishing for Steelhead, pinks & Silvers, he might be ok with one rod, but not usually so if he intends to include Chinook. Chinook are in a class all their own.
Can you get more info?
I build several of these a year so I might be able of offer a pointer or two.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster