I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st reduction(stripper) guide location
Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2015 09:11AM

I have read and understand the new concept guide placement for spinning rods, but I am in the process of refurbishing a few boat rods with level wind reels on them. They were generic rods not matched to any particular reel so I don't want to just put the guides back where they were originally located. I plan on using the static test method but I couldn't find any information about locating the POSITION and SIZING of the 1st reduction (stripper) guide. I am not looking for a generic chart or recommendations on WHERE to locate it, but how to locate its position and what it I am trying to accomplish when it is positioned correctly.

Any info would be AWESOME !

Thanks,
Jon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st reduction(stripper) guide location
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2015 09:39AM

Casting rods are fairly easy. You want the butt guide located so that the line isn't down on the blank, nor on the foregrip when the rod is heavily loaded. Now this location will vary depending on the size and height of your butt guide. You also want to try and position the butt guide, or size the ring within it, so that the line isn't at a very sharp angle as it comes off the reel at either far side of the spool.

Date: February 26, 2015 09:48AM

Thanks Tom,
Should a couple more descending reduction guides be used until the line reaches the choker guide like it is done on spinning rods?

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 26, 2015 09:48AM

With so little information to go on you are probably looking at trial and error at best. A large(r) reel on a boat rod will raise the line a considerable distance off the blank (since the line will come from the top of the spool) and require a larger or higher stripper than you may realize. You may also assume that what was there originally provided at the least "average" performance so your changes may only be slight. Bend the rod, run some line and place the stripper in a position where the angle between the top of the spool and the second guide (beyond the stripper) is smooth and not too radical. Then go back and make sure the position is suitable for the way the rod bends. Too far out and you will lose power in the butt of the rod (choose a larger or higher stripper that you can move closer to the reel). Too close and you will create line flow issues as the line flows back and forth across the spool.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2015 10:36AM

Jim does an excellent job on describing guide size and location.

In addition, I use one more technique. After I have the guides taped in location for size and spacing, I run the line from the reel through the guides and through the tip.

I check for a couple of things. First and foremost, I would like to see the line flow in a straight line, not touching any guide at all, but just the tip. Generally, I like to see the line running just under the top of the guides on a straight rod, and just brushing the bottoms of the guides as the rod gets to partial loading. Then, I can be reasonably satisfied that the guide sizes and locations are correct.

My feel is that if any guide causes a significant bend in the line during these test procedures, the guide size or location is incorrect.

Good luck

Date: February 26, 2015 10:45AM

You don't need to use a bunch of intermediate sizes. They're all so close that generally you can drop right down to your running guides, unless you have very large or very high butt guide, then you may wish to stick one intermediate size in there.

Date: February 26, 2015 11:25AM

Great info and I now know what should be achieved! Thanks !

One last question - How is this dealt with on a Tuna Rod with a huge real and all rollers guides?

Date: February 26, 2015 11:34AM

Very similar, actually. Depending on the height of the reel spool and type of butt roller (top and bottom rollers are usually found on roller butt guides) you have to adjust accordingly so that when under load the line will indeed quickly fall onto the lower roller.

Date: February 26, 2015 11:54AM

Tom,
I assume it really shouldn't matter a lot whether I use the reel loaded with line or empty - Sometimes I feel like I'm build a watch instead of a fishing rod !????

Date: February 26, 2015 12:24PM

No, you'll want to fill the reel and use the line as it comes off or on at full spool to help determine the butt guide location.

Date: February 26, 2015 01:39PM

Got it-Thanks Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster