I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Messed up Thread-Maker applications to fly rod
Posted by: Patrick Marshall (---.dhcp.snlo.ca.charter.com)
Date: February 24, 2015 05:32PM

A few years ago I built a 2/3 wt 12' fly rod using blanks I purchased from the Angler's Roost ( a very good outfit by the way). The rod turned out fine except for two finish blemishes resulting from my clumsy application of covering the wraps on the butt section with Thread-Maker. The first and longest wrap holding the hook-keeper has a "wavey" application of Thread-Maker. How can this application be evened out so it is uniform over the length of the wrap? Next, the application over the wrap on the first guide was somehow marred before the Thread-Maker epoxy set up. The application is otherwise even over the wraps, but the guide area on the top of the blank must have touched something while the thread cover was still "wet." Can this faux-pas be repaired and how? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Messed up Thread-Maker applications to fly rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2015 05:40PM

Patrick,
Use a sanding block with fine sandpaper to remove the uneven finish.

If you only put on one coat of finish, it might be a good idea to put on a 2nd coat before sanding. If you have a very thin layer of finish, there is a good chance that you will sand through the finish and fuzz the thread.

I like to put a wrap of wide masking tape at the end of the area where I am sanding, so I only sand the area that needs to be sanded and leveled.

Sand down until the finish is level, or until you come close to going through the finish. Stop sanding before going through the finish. If necessary, you can put on two or more coasts as needed, sanding in between, if the finish is not level and still wavy.

When doing this work, disassemble the rod, so you are only working on the section of rod that needs work.

Be safe

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2015 09:17PM

Just curious Patrick, when applying the finish (and i think you mean Thread-Master, not Thread-Maker, no?), did you start at the tip or the butt end? if you started at the tip, it takes a long time to reach the butt end on a 12 foot rod. this doesn't help you now, but next time, try mixing up two batches of finish. one for each half. and don't mix up the second batch until you've completely applied the first half. I imagine the finish started setting up by the time you reached the butt end, leading to the wavy finish.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: February 24, 2015 09:55PM

Gulp!!! I did use Thread Master, not Thread "Maker." No wonder I had problems! Thanks for your input.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2015 04:48AM

Once upon a time I had some wavy finish troubles that I think were caused by a drying surface that wasn't level...
The problem came on after I moved and it was only on the long wraps.
This made me suspicious. When I checked with a level, I found the bench I was using was low at one end.
Shimming things up smoothed out my finish.

Posted by: Daniel Merrill (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 25, 2015 07:23PM

Making long, smooth sections of finish takes practice.
I used a junk blank to practice over several times. Wrapped it with thread, epoxy finished 2 coats (sanding when necessary), peeled, repeat. Did this quite a few times before I got a finish I was pleased with.
Just a thought.

Date: February 26, 2015 12:13AM

You hit it Daniel. The problem wraps were lonnng ones. I'll have to be more careful in the future though I doubt I'll make such long wraps on any future rod I might build.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2015 05:49PM

Patrick,
One thing that is a huge help if you use very high speed when applying finish and insure that you have thin finish when applying.

By using thin finish and high speed for finish application, the finish will level and will be smooth. If you apply too much finish or use finish that is too thick, you will very likely end up with waves in the finish.

As long as your wraps are smooth, and you put exactly the same amount of finish on each location on the wrap, the finish will have to be smooth.

I don't believe in sanding a finish either. Normally, unless one gets in a hurry and gobs on finish in one spot, sanding will not be necessary.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2015 06:30PM

IF

You have controll of the speed of your Finisher - The on long wraps I IMHO think it is better to have it spin faster when aplying the finish After all the finish is on You can brush right to left and left to right It works
You can also stop the turner and let some of the finish drip off
Make sure the rod is level !!!! A couple of 180 turns and then set at a slower speed
I also like a light finish - So ya have to put on more coats But it levels better Less bubbles

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster