I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What was the new product?
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: February 24, 2015 11:01AM

John McCleish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the best new items at the show were the
> chuck and the retrieval device. No one has
> mentioned it yet so I will tell you what I was
> told at the retrieval booth. That device deploys
> in 4 seconds. Drop your rod into a pool and see
> how long it takes to drop 8-10 feet. He said it
> should deploy from 4-6 feet down. So if the rod
> lands stuck upright in the mud, that float will
> already be on the way up. Now I can go out and
> buy a kayak. I know I won't be losing all my rods
> on every fishing trip.

Whoops mistake post, sorry.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 11:06AM by John E Powell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 24, 2015 11:06AM

Steve Gardner Wrote:
> Mr Powell;
> I understand your concern with the Chuck. But that
> may have been a rarity.
>
> I played with that thing for a really long time
> without experiencing what you did. Could be fluke
> could be problem not sure? Just saying it was not
> my experience. I don't remember having to pull
> anything apart in order to turn it. I simply
> rotated left or right depending on whether I
> wanted to open or close it.
> You are correct about using 2 hands to work the
> chuck , but once the chuck is installed on your
> lathe, drier device, or what ever piece of
> equipment you choose, that installation should
> hold the aft part of the chuck so it only takes
> one hand to operate properly.
>
> Just a thought: if you pulled it apart to turn
> it, you may have actually cause the malfunction by
> pulling it apart.

Steve,

I don't believe that is the case. The way the chuck was handed to me, the rubber bands were not within the 120 degree operational range and to get the inside and outside pins to pass (with rubber bands mounted), a slight sepereration of the two parts are necessary (otherwise the outside rubber bands would catch on the inside rubber band posts). In moving the two parts to the operational 120 degree area, the chuck fell apart. That means the assembly/disassembly axis falls along an axis nearby either edge of the 120 degree area. I considerer this to be an easily correctable design flaw. The assembly/disassembly axis should be well away from the operational area.

When it fell apart in my hands the rep replied something like "yeah, you have to be careful not to pull it apart too far [or that can happen]". I advised them that I felt that should not be a possibility at all. The rep seemed to agree with me at the time. We did reassemble the chuck together and briefly studied how it was assembled, that's how I made my recommendation to have the assembly/disassembly axis outside of the operational area. My recommendation seemed to be well received.

If you happened to duplicate the scenario I experienced and lost the internal ball bearing that fell out on the ground, the chuck would be useless without it.

Maybe it's just me, i tend to find ways to break things... I once went to a conference and sat in on a seminar for these $7000 robot arms a company was trying to sell to schoools for their tech ed programs. After the demo, we all got invited up to give the robot arms a try. In about 10 seconds I broke the $7000 robot arm because the designers had set a design operational limit to the wiring of 270 degrees of rotation, but didn't build in any physical stops - I basically ran it past the intended design parameters and ripped out the internal wiring that powered the motor controlling the rotation axis. So the rep comes over to me all excited and asked in a harried voice "WHAT DID YOU DO TO IT?!?" I looked at the guy and queried, "You don't think a 7th grader is going to make that thing spin in circles?"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 11:24AM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2015 11:24AM

"You are correct about using 2 hands to work the chuck , but once the chuck is installed on your lathe, drier device, or what ever piece of equipment you choose, that installation should hold the aft part of the chuck so it only takes one hand to operate properly."

Correct - once the chuck is installed on the lathe or dryer the motion involved shouldn't cause it to come apart.

Date: February 24, 2015 11:26AM

I believe those were John Lentz's rods.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2015 05:07PM

For us it was the new CRB Rod Building System (RBS) - an affordable, fully expandable system of rod building tool that can grow with you.
[www.mudhole.com]

And the new MHX Mag XF Blanks - original designed extra fast tapers specifically designed for those who like xtra fast actions, 8 models to chose from:
[www.mudhole.com]

And the Winn grips in some NEW designs, colors and shapes. Not yet available on our web site, but they will be this week at: [www.mudhole.com]

Great seeing everyone at the show and thank you for your support.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Date: February 25, 2015 02:39PM

Mud Hole Custom Tackle Wrote:
> For us it was the...

> And the Winn grips in some NEW designs, colors and
> shapes.

They were pretty cool, and I was glad to see the giant WINN lettering absent from some of the offerings.

On Sunday, I had an opportunity to watch their handle stripper in action. Being a tool nerd, I thought that was really cool. Essentially it was similar in concept to a lathe that had three carbide cutters replacing the jaws of a three jaw chuck and a soft jaw vice installed on a movable platform where the tailstock would normally be. They mounted a rod in the vice jaws with the handle facing the cutters, and with the cutters spinning around the blank, turned a wheel connected to a long threaded rod which pushed the vice mount feeding the rod handle into the cutters. The cutters, set with an opening equal to the ID of one of their replacement grips (and larger than the rod blank butt diameter) chewed up the cork grip, the reel seat, and the front grip leaving a stripped cylindrical handle area, pretty clean looking to my bad eyes,to which the new grips would just slide over from the butt end of the blank. The concept for the handle stripper, as presented by the Winn guys, was that with this tooling you can have changeable handles when you or a customer want a new look on an old rod. In action, the stripper quickly drew a crowd that filled the aisle making it difficult to see, so they repeated the process a couple times. The time it took, from mounting the rod with the old handle into sliding vice to sliding the new front grip in place was just a few minutes. If you had pre-sized foam bushings glued inside reel seats, you could just slide on the pre-drilled seat, rear grip, and cap in just a few more seconds. Obviously, in the real world epoxying the seat would take another couple mins or so.

I wish I was able to take a video of the whole process, but there were just too many people standing around that I couldn't get a clear camera line of sight. There was some discussion that followed about making the machinery available for purchase, apparently it currently is not available for purchase.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 02:49PM by John E Powell.

Date: February 25, 2015 04:44PM

I didn't get to see that tool in action but had several folks tell me it was one of the neatest things they saw over the weekend.

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 04:13AM

I'm so far it doesn't matter which side of the Mississippi I am, but count me in the Eternity / RX9 crowd. I've cast a ETEF906 and it's hands down the best 6wt I've handled. I can"t wait to get my 905, I'm expecting an absolute killer.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2015 11:20PM

John Powel

I have read your post on the New Chuck and how
Well, in less than two seconds the chuck fell apart into sections, rubber bands went flying (one was lost and not found) and an internal ball bearing approximately 3/16" in diameter critical to the function of the chuck had fallen to the ground. Luckily, it fell into the mat of some carpeting and was easily recovered.

Made me LMAO I was not going to say any thing - but - had to - I can not understant why no one can make a chuck that does not have to be redone or repaired

Thanks for the laugh I can not stop thinking about it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 04, 2015 05:54PM

Bill, to be fair, hundreds of people had an opportunity to handle the chuck and as far as I know, I was the only one that it came apart on, at least up until that point in the show. I got some feedback from another person who handled the chuck quite extensively. After reading my post, they were able to duplicate what I experienced.

So basically, it the form it was presented at the show, if you handle it and use it in a manner that was intended by the designer it should work just fine. But in totality, it's not idiot proof, or if you prefer it's not "Bubba proof"...

It would also be fair to say that I intend to purchase and try one even if no change is made to the design.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster