I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank comparisons
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 23, 2015 01:04PM

The "best" blank to build a rod for a particular purpose is a chiefly subjective decision, but an important decision nonetheless. Can someone suggest a site where qualified testers evaluated ANY similar purpose blanks in a credible (double-blind) comparison?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank comparisons
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2015 11:20AM

I have never seen such a site.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 26, 2015 05:03PM

Heck, I'd settle for a database of similar blanks. Often we have something we like.....but maybe the price isn't so nice.....or maybe they just stopped offering it.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2015 05:24PM

Make a list of several blanks for a certain purpose and come here and ask
Some one will know !

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 08:45AM

I don't think it is that much subjective (even though there is indeed a matter of subjective taste)
but what makes such a site useless is that the system that you test for a task includes the caster. it is especially true in fly fishing, but still holds for any for of fishing. that's why the conclusions of someone else regarding a blank is at best a guideline for you.
I'm all for objective measures on the blanks, I actively promote the CCS system in France, but (i) there's no substitute for the personal interpretation of the data ; (ii) maybe the double blind is a little overkill. what's the point of insisting on the elimination of all marketing hype ? we're all exposed to it to some degree, and whatever your reaction to it (allergy or otherwise), it's a part of our relation to our rods. it's just healthy to know hype for what it is.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 27, 2015 10:48AM

Marketing hype convinces some folks who want to take up fly fishing they need to spend $800 for a fly reel with zero start-up drag when they will be using 12# or heavier tippet . Marketing hype convinces the innocent that they must buy an $800 fly rod to enable them to "punch casts into the wind." Not just fly fishing but all fishing would benefit if there were sites which provided reliable information for newcomers about fishing gear.

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: March 02, 2015 08:41PM

I couldn't agree more. That's why forums like this one, educating people and spreading technically correct notions, are such a good thing for the sport.
you need to know that this feeling you get because you just bought a fashionable brand does not translate easily into any technical claim.
doesn't mean it shouldn't feel good to do so if you please, though.
and we all are, in a form or another, fashion victims.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster