I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

working eva grips
Posted by: Cory Leiman (207.195.86.---)
Date: February 22, 2015 11:16AM

Hello looking for some info on working with eva grips. I don't have much experience with eva as I am a big on cork.My question is can you turn and reshape eva foam and what is the best way to do this. Can you do the same way as cork.Im a week away from parts here so if someone can throw me a tip or two it would a big help. thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: working eva grips
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 22, 2015 12:32PM

Do a google search for "how to make eva fishing rod grips" and you'll find lots of info, much from sponsors accessed by clicking on left side of this site.

I turn EVA on a cobbled "lathe" rig on my drill press, chuck one end of the mandrel in at the top, the other end goes into a ball bearing I've sunk into a board at the bottom (clamp the board to the press bed). Experiment with speed. I start with very coarse sandpaper and progressively go to very fine paper.

To sandwich different colors, cut the slices from turning EVA using a very fine saw held against the turning part or a length of heavy braid fishing line (DO NOT HOLD THE BRAID WITH YOUR FINGERS-YOU MAY LOSE ONE- WRAP IT SECURELY AROUND DOWELS AND HOLD THE DOWELS-IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT THIS, USE A SAW AND CAREFULLY PASS IT PERPENDICULARLY INTO THE TURNING PART). Use contact cement to glue them together with light clamping pressure (do this before turning).

Date: February 22, 2015 03:13PM

Thanks for the tip.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 22, 2015 04:52PM

Send me an email and I think I can help more.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2015 08:48AM

Theses should help a lot
[www.youtube.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: February 24, 2015 12:25PM

When turning eva, it's helpful to turn at high speeds and to start out with coarser grades of abrasive paper than you would normally use for cork. For efficient removal of EVA for shaping try some cloth backed stearated paper of around 40 grit, then once the rough shape is ready for refining, up the grit to 60-80 still using the cloth backed stearated. From this point I use two backings, the cloth backed stearated for straight or gently curved areas, and a lighter paper backed stearated for curves with smaller radii (the paper backed is more flexible but far less durable)

If you are beginning with a raw square shape, you can actually begin knocking off the corners with woodturning tools to round the grip before beginning to work with the abrasive paper.

Check out Billy Vivona's instructional grip turning videos on YouTube, he demonstrates just about everything you'll need to know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 12:27PM by John E Powell.

Date: February 25, 2015 02:32PM

thanks for the help guys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster