I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping Micro Guides
Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.200.186.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 21, 2015 10:57AM

I have been having trouble getting micro guide wraps started. On the past few builds I have started above the guide and wrapped down then slid the guide under a thread and continued the rest of the foot or use cable ties to hold it in place and wrapped like normal. Only problem was the cable ties scratched the blank. Also wrapping in front of the guide stiffened the tip section and did not look very good. Any tricks or tips how to do this? Maybe an easier way to hold them in place or prep the feet?
Thanks,
Ben Eipert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping Micro Guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2015 12:15PM

Ben,
Very easy.
Use elastic orthodontic fasteners and bands. Just slip the number of bands on the rods, plus a couple, before the first guide is placed on the blank. Then, just slide the band down to the spot necessary and slip the guide under the band. Wrap with about 4 wraps on the guide, and then use a sharp nosed small side cutter to nip the band and cut it off the blank. No scratches, easy to move the guide up, down and all around for alignment before wrapping and easy to cut off and release when needed.

I have picked up bands of all sizes from the internet and keep them on hand for easy guide wrapping. Many times easier than any sort of tie that you tie in place after getting on the rod, and they take up next to no thickness on the guide for maximum thread wraps before cutting off for the final locking wraps.

The larger sizes are called orthodontic bands, and the smaller sizes are called orthodontic fasteners.

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.tedpella.com]

You could use a razor or scalpel to cut the band, but the side cutter insures that a cutting blade does not touch the blank and cause a possible scratch.

Good luck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2015 12:49PM

It also helps if you give each foot a quick sand with 320 paper This gives the foot a roughness for the thread to grab onto and helps it not slid off the foot

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2015 01:20PM

Try the low-temperature hot melt glue sticks which are available at craft stores.
Flick your Bic, heat the foot, warm the glue, wipe glue and foot together and apply foot to the blank.
Don't over-do the amount of glue...
I use an alligator clip to handle the guide, but it can be done by hand too.

Date: February 21, 2015 01:42PM

I like the hot glue idea. I have tried the rubber band thing and did not have much luck. Thanks for the help so far!

Date: February 21, 2015 01:45PM

Ben,
If you have correctly fitting bands for the rod, there will be no issue to use the bands to hold the guides in place.

I dislike using any adhesive on the blank due to any potential residue left on the blank.
Be safe

Date: February 21, 2015 04:26PM

After wrapping so many guides you will learn what works - for you - the learning curve

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2015 06:23PM

I too like the hot glue for guides it is differant than the tip top glue stick as after you are done the wrap you can still move the guide around.flex coat makes it

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.250.---)
Date: February 21, 2015 07:04PM

Just set the guides onto a magbass rod today, and using surgical tubing, about 1/8 in O.D., the little sections I cut off the tubing went over the tiptop with a little finesse, and worked well for all but the first guide from the butt. The O. D. of the blank stretched them too much and they broke. But flexible thread came to the rescue for that one guide. One tie onto the blank for each foot.

I know micros can be hard to handle, but the surgical tubing really does work well. Also, Bill's recommendation to scuff the feet of the guide will allow the thread to climb the foot well. I don't recommend sanding the full foot since you want the thread to slide after you get it started onto the foot.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.buvl.tn.charter.com)
Date: February 21, 2015 09:32PM

I use surgical tubing of various sizes to match the taper of the rod. I got in the habit of using 2 bands per micro. One on the foot and one in front of the guide. This keeps the guide from slipping up the rod. Plus if you cut the band and have a problem, you have another band to start over with.

you can also cut a rubber band and tie it on to the blank as well if you don't have any dental bands. It's also a trick if you need a band between guides already attached or on a repair.

Date: February 21, 2015 10:24PM

I ended up going with the glue method as it is what I could get a hold of easiest. It worked great. Thanks for the help everyone!

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 22, 2015 07:31PM

the only problem you can't move them to aline them after wraping if you use hot glue , as it takes me a long time to line them up , try rubber bands thin ones, strech an wrap around the rod 2 or 3 times tie it off an clip leave a pigtall about 1 inch long , this will help to pick up part of the wrap to install the foot under it all methods above will work for you , it is just what you have on hand to work with ,
I think SID

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: February 23, 2015 01:14AM

Guide Glue ( I use Fuji Glue in red stick) let you to move guide after wrapping.
You just need to use very little Glue, Heat the foot, make one passe on the stick, heat again briefly and put it in place, you're done.

Date: February 23, 2015 08:54AM

There is a learning curve but I get a bag of thin rubber bands from the drug store cut to size Tie onto the blank several inches above where the guide will rest Two knots trim ends Roll down the blank

Like said there is a ( learning curve ) on doing this But if I neen more or one breaks I just tie on another

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robin Barnes (---.lightspeed.okcbok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 23, 2015 07:07PM

Try using bread ties...

Date: February 24, 2015 12:36PM

Robin,
The problem with bread ties, is that there is a chance that they may scratch the blank, if the bare wire becomes exposed. Also, there is no stretch and clamping pressure on the bread ties.

Hence, my preference for the elastic Ortho O rings. Simple, easy to use, no knots no marks on the blank, and no glue residue if using guide cement.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster