I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Where to mount reel seat?
Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt1.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: November 08, 2001 01:13PM

Ok guy's ,
Another question! Is there a preferred distance to mount the reel seat? I have had request to mount the seats further away from the end so they can rest the butt on their fore arms. I don't see a problem but I am only a novice and don't have the experience to determine what a proven method is or balance of the rod, etc.. I know this all revolves around custom but I think what I want to know is, is there a distance that is too far forward for different length rods? Example, 6'6" med light spinning rod. the seat is Pac Bay 4" and mounted 9 inches from the end of the blank. That is what was requested. Am I OK?
T.I.A.
Mark Schulte

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where to mount reel seat?
Posted by: Lynn (---.atomic.net)
Date: November 08, 2001 02:21PM

The key is "that is what's requested". You don't have to make anybody happy but the customer. Different people like different butt-lengths for different styles of fishing. There are no hard and fast rules in custom rodbuilding except to give the customer what he wants. IMHO Lynn

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 08, 2001 03:52PM

The 9 inch mount for the reel seat should be no problem whatsoever. You will lose a little bit of the effective blank (read leverage) in casting if the hand is kept at the real during casting, but otherwise, not a problem. Agree with above, it is the customers rod, so build it to their liking. If it were something that would drastically effect performance, I would attempt to steer away the customer from doing that by explaining why, but it your case, that is not an issue.

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.15.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: November 08, 2001 05:09PM

It is perfectly fine to mount it that far up. Depending on what style of fishing your customer is doing it may actually help the performance.

I don't think that I have built a rod for myself with a rear grip less than that, even including casting rods.

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 08, 2001 10:52PM

You can put the reel seat any place you like. all you have to know is how long you want the the butt grip
Good luck Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster