I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batosn Eternity 2
Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-248.nextgentel.com)
Date: February 02, 2015 01:11PM

Has anyone build fly rods on the new Eternity2 fly rod blanks? How do they perform and what do they compare to? Any info appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batosn Eternity 2
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 02, 2015 02:29PM

I just completed a 9 ft 4 piece 9 wt for my son, who only used it casting a big cuda fly a short time , so he has little experience with it. He did state that he thought it casted well. It is a solid 9 + by CCS, can't remember the exact number right now. AA = 70. That cobalt blue really goes with Carribean water! I used Gudebrod size A, number 246, I believe (dark blue) without CP with Pro Wrap pearl metallic for fine trim wraps. Looks very classy, the blue wraps are slightly darker than the blank, the pearl got subdued significantly but looks good. Silver metallic would work too, if you like it brighter/more sparkly. I have to say that the cobalt color does restrict wrap colors significantly compared to the usual greys and blacks, but it is really a stunning rod . REC snakes, Alps reduction guides (titanium - these really look sharp!), and the Alps aluminum/window reel seat (also very sharp).

We picked the blank based on the nano tech, wanting to go with the latest tech, and I think it was a good decision. He has a Rainshadow RX 8 8 wt and loves it. This rod is a little faster than the RX 8. Prices vary, so look around. If you want more detail, send me an e-mail or respond here.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2015 04:45PM

Michael, did the bonefish and permit cooperate?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: February 02, 2015 05:55PM

We never saw a permit, but this lodge is just learning about how and where to fish them. One guide is ahead on them, but we really didn't want to spend a lot of time with what would be a long shot for a single chance. We wanted to concentrate on bones. We got an unfortunate cold front on our second day, and high winds associated with it affected two days. But we got lots of chances on bones. My son and I had 4 doubles wading one day, a 20 bone day, and then on the last day got a double from the boat. We probably got about 75 bones, up to about 6 pounds for one or two, and had fish running essentially out of sight. We had one battle with a shark who was after one of mine, and I ended the last day with a bone that I found, cast to, and landed without much from the guide. Then I cast a surface lure to a 53 inch cuda with a spinning outfit, and it was a really special fish. The lure landed behind him, and in less than a second he turned 180, swam like a rocket for about his length, and inhaled the lure. In about a foot and a half of water. The lure was ultimately destroyed, as was the heavy duty snap swivel. But a light hand ultimately got him. I'm ready to go back. Wonderful people, drop dead gorgeous water, good fish, great food, clean and comfy bed.

By the way, I used a Pac Bay Quickline 8 wt, and I love it. One of the really underappreciated fly blanks. When I got the timing and rythym of the cast right, it really delivered. It's beautiful with its gloss black finish, Gudebrod garnet w/o CP, fine silver and gold trim. I don't know why we don't hear more about them here. IMHO, they are a real high value rod, performance and appearance vs cost.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2015 07:59PM

I have built an Eternity 2 9ft 6wt 4pc I i'm lovin it! Casts well with both 6wt and 7wt lines. As noted above, it is a little faster then the RX8 and the rod is much lighter.

I talked with Kerry Batson about the bright blue color, as I find most fly fishermen are not into bright and bling. Many that I have showed the rod to, have commented about not caring for such a bright blank. Kerry said I was preaching to the choir, but that marketing thought the color was a winner. Time will tell.

Date: February 03, 2015 05:53AM

I think the color is very appropriate for the Carribean. I think that's where they came up with it. At one time fishing there recently the horizon was of three layers of color, first the cobalt, then a bright green, then an olive shade, then below that were the tans and greens of the flats.

However, it is hard to find a good wrap color for it, and for northern fishing, especially fresh water, I would also prefer a gloss black, grey, or charcoal. I confirmed that what I used was Gudbrod dark blue #246 without CP.

Phil, what wrap color did you use?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 03, 2015 11:50AM

Michael, I used Makoi Light Cobalt Blue, no CP. It ends up darker than the blank, but then almost any thing is!

It may go well in the Caribbean, but thats a pretty small market for a line of fly rod blanks.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 03, 2015 11:51AM

Hi rodbuilding.org community,
Thank you for your responses. Remember these are RainShadow Eternity2 rod blanks! Lets get back on the performance topic.

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: February 03, 2015 12:55PM

Not meaning to be argumentative, Ryan, but how a rod looks, while not as important as its performance, is still important. And for a marketing guy, the appearance opinions coming up on this forum topic would seem to me to be pretty important. I can appreciate how tough decisions like blank color can be, and I'll bet there were many hours of meetings with many options discussed before making the final decision.

I also think that many prospective buyers would like to know what thread works with the blank color. I can assure you that many fewer work with the blue than with grey or black blanks.

Where I was fishing about half a dozen people saw the rod and no one had a negative comment on the color, and a few commented on what a sharp rod it was.

Date: February 03, 2015 04:40PM

Michael,
Thank you for the response. Not argumentative at all. Just responding to the original question ;) As for the appearance, the opinions do matter and trust me we have thought of this time after time. Opinions on this forum do matter. Tough decisions are always
hard and everyone wants everything.

Im happy to see the rod is making its waves..

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 04, 2015 09:20AM

I have an 8 wt with REC guides and makoi grey wraps.
No cp so the wrap sort of fade into that blue which i am not liking much having lived with it some months now.
Looks are OK at the sea but in tailwaters for schoolie stripers kind of too bling. But personal taste varies.

Performance:Fished it hard on the Laguna Madre this last Christmas/ new years few weeks.
Used it some below Pickwick etc on the TN river system.

Swapped it out for a morning with a buddy who was using an OrvisHelios in 9 wt. very similar using same reeel line etc at same distances.
The 8wt batson casts great at 80+ ft with a 9 wt line, pretty much the same as the 9 wt Orvis does in fact.

Its a fine well made blank,ferules good and not working loose during the day.
I will not go into the lack of CCS...............................
flogged that to death already.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2015 09:48AM

Try several colors on the butt where it will be hidden with handel and seat

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 04, 2015 11:31AM

Great Lou!! Thank you for the feedback. Remember our blanks are RainShadow Eternity2 ;)

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises

Date: February 04, 2015 03:36PM

The 9 I just did has an ERN of 10.1, AA of 70, on my rig. I'll bet your 8 is very close to 9.5 and 70. The old RX8 8 wt was 9 and 66. You would expect this to be a little more powerful and significantly faster. These numbers are from my rig which correlates pretty well with brand X factory data.

Date: February 04, 2015 08:24PM

And there you go! Thanks for this data!
The Eternity2 is our flagship model!

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster