I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Narrow trim bands with metallic thread
Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2015 11:04PM

I'm working on my first Tiger Wrap, here:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I want to use narrow trim bands at each end in silver metallic. I've read the article in the library and followed Tom's instructions to do basically a nail knot. The metallic thread, though, is so slippery - especially on this Batson blank with a clear gloss finish - that they're not holding. Once I trim the ends of the thread they just unravel.

How do I fix this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Narrow trim bands with metallic thread
Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.vctrcmta01.vctatx.tl.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 31, 2015 11:23PM

Use a Nail knot. I make my bands using metallic 3 turns. Make the nail knot, cinch the thread tight, drop a small amount of CP on band. After ~ 10 minutes trim ends.

Pat Barnard

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2015 12:10AM

Some also put just a very small spot of Super Glue (CA) right on the crossover point on the knot, and trim tags after setting.

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2015 07:39AM

Wrap trim band first then continue with an endless wrap.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2015 08:23AM

Better than crazy glue or nail knot - or anything else

To make a single metallic band simply tape down (on both ends) two pull throughs parallel to - and on opposite sides - of the blank (I use 4# test Fire-line for thinness) before you begin basic wrap.

Make 4-5 turns of your basic wrap. Using the first pull-through - pull one end of a 6"-8" length of metallic through. Wrap the metallic 2X around the blank. Pull it through using the second pull-through.

Tension the metallic and pack gently.
Now pulling on both ends you will unwind it until you have a single metallic band. Snip tag ends and continue wrapping.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2015 10:37AM

Amazing what you can find on this very site if you take a moment and look. Try this:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: February 01, 2015 12:33PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amazing what you can find on this very site if you
> take a moment and look. Try this:
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
>
> ..................

Tom, I did read that article, which is how I knew the nail knot trick. Midway through the wraps for the tiger wrap base, though, they had come loose and completely unraveled. I thought that was because the metallic thread lacked the "bite" of non-metallic. Is this just a matter of keeping at it until I get it, or would you suggest something else?

I still have master the trick of pulling the inlay thread tag under the wraps without puli it out. Have to keep practicing that. :)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 01, 2015 02:07PM

You just have to get the tension right for the type thread you're using. Stick with it - you'll get the knack.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2015 04:05PM

Kevin, e-mail me and I will send you a very simple method of doing this without the rigamarole of trying to tie knots.

Date: February 01, 2015 05:26PM

Email sent.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2015 10:59AM

[www.youtube.com]

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2015 11:44AM

I use essentially the same system as pointed out by Don in the previous post.

His videl illustrated how to make a single turn trim band if the trim band is the first thing being wrapped.

However, you can effectively do the same thing if the trim band is the last thing to be wrapper.

Start about 15 turns from the end of the wrap and lay in a pull string for the trim ban. Do a couple of turns, and lay in the trim thread - one thread end. Then a couple more wraps and lay in the pull thread for the main thread pull string. Finish up the main wrap, and pull the loose end back. Then, do the single turn with the trim thread, and put the free end into the trim pull thread. Finally, put the end of the trim thread into the trim pull tab and pull it back through. If I want a single turn trim piece, I will normally do two turns, and then after pulling the loose end through, work the pulled trim loose end back, until you have the perfect single turn. If you only do a single turn, when trying to get a single turn, using this method, you will normally eld up with about a 3/4 trim turn after everything has been pulled tight.

Pretty easy, simple and will not slip; no matter the thread being used.

Be safe

Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (89.137.115.---)
Date: February 02, 2015 12:44PM

I found that the nail knot method does slip open when you trim the tag ends if you use less then three turns, it needs a drop of CP before cut the tags,whit three turns its holding perfectly..... but sometimes (in case of translucent nylon) I prefer it, its just looks better than to have two tag ends (that you pull under) showing through the main( nylon)wrap. Obviously its not the case of the NPC main wraps, with NCP the pull under method is the first that I'll choose.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2015 01:33PM

Don, send me an e-mail and I will send you a much quicker and easier method. Randy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2015 03:21PM

Another thing that bamboo builders do it ( wet ) the thread i wet my finger and wipe the thread It helps to make the thread stick

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2015 06:57PM

If you're using NCP thread, or CP on your wraps then all the pull through methods work great. If you are going without CP and your thread is translucent, the metallic tag ends will show.

If you don't want this, then the nail knot or single turn with super glue is about the only way that works.

Terry

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2015 06:57PM

If you're using NCP thread, or CP on your wraps then all the pull through methods work great. If you are going without CP and your thread is translucent, the metallic tag ends will show.

If you don't want this, then the nail knot or single turn with super glue is about the only way that works.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster