I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power noodle blanks
Posted by: Sid Thao (---.sub-70-194-163.myvzw.com)
Date: January 31, 2015 01:13PM

I have built on a mhx power noodle blank and like it but I was wondering if there were more sensitive noodle blanks out there? Thorne bros perhaps? I would like a blank that has a little more sensitive tip. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power noodle blanks
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2015 03:25PM

Sid,
I assume that you are speaking of ice fishing rods?

I had a power noodle blank in the shop last week for a build. It is the perfect blank for those that want a blank with a bit of beef in the butt of the rod, but a very very limber rod. About the front 6 inches is quite limber and works very very well for visual indication of a very light pan fish bite.

By the way, if you take any of the solid glass ice fishing rods, you can put the blank in a lathe and with support on the blank spin the blank and sand down the tip and on down the rod, as much as you might want to get the action that you want.
The problem with too many of the commercial blanks that are close, is that the blank bends all of the way to the butt, which makes it less than an ideal blank. So, it works better for a larger diameter butt to get some butt power, but has a nice fast taper for the last 6 inches to get the tip flex that you desire.

For this sort of visual bite indication, the power noodle is the ideal blank.

Good luck

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2015 06:43PM

Sid,
You can take one of Janns Netcraft $1.80 rods.

For example:

[www.jannsnetcraft.com]

This blank comes with a size 5 tip. Chuck the blank into the chuck of a lathe or drill and grab some sand paper. Do not spin the blank so fast that you overheat the blank when sanding. But, keep the blank cool as you sand and measure and test the response of the blank frequently until you achieve the action you want. Normally, if you get down to a size 2.5 or 3.0 tip, you are in the ball park. Then, sand further down the blank to extend the length of the "noodle tip" as desired.

Since the blanks are so inexpensive, you can buy a handful and if you destroy a few on the way to your perfect blank, no big deal.

When you do get the perfect blank - keep it as a master blank. Then, you can sand other blanks down to the identical dimensions and have more of the same " Sid Power Noodle Blanks. "

If you have one of the clear or white blanks, you can just use a large "sharpie" to color the blank quickly after you finish the sanding. It is nice to spray the tip orange or pink for better visibility as well.

Take care

p.s.
If you don't have a lathe, you can use a rechargeable drill. Often these run a maximum speed that is less than many corded drills which is perfect to avoid overheating the blank. Start with perhaps 100 or 150 grit paper for the initial sanding and then go on down to 400 or 600 grit for the final finish.

If you are doing this sanding, be sure to wear an air filter. When the sanding dust comes off the glass blanks, there is actually glass in the dust. You don't want to breath it. If you are sanding, the carbon blanks, you have carbon in the dust and you don't want to breath that either.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2015 06:48PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2015 10:59AM

Thanks Roger!! I will definitely have to try that. I have a power wrapper that I can use to turn blanks. I guess I'll be doing a search on here on how to paint a blank next lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster