I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Slick butts
Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 08:20AM

Anyone know where I can find a long (16ish inch) slick butt? Trying to pair up with a 26mm aluminum seat. Any other options? Maybe a Tennessee handle????

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slick butts
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2015 09:16AM

Or perhaps cut and mate two shorter slick butts. You might use some sort of trim ring between the two pieces. Should be some good options for getting what you want this way.

Posted by: Garrett Adams (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 10:19AM

Great idea Tom. I was thinking about joining 2 together but unsure of the seam I'll create. I like the idea of using a trim ring.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 11:09AM

Garrett,
A very good slick butt can be made from inexpensive poly irrigation hose. You can buy it by the foot or in hundred foot rolls. The only issue is that the pipe comes in a roll and you need to heat it up to soften it and then thread it over a dowel as it cools to have the pipe straight before you put it on the rod.

[www.menards.com]

Just put the pipe in an oven on a rack and elevate the temperature enough to soften the pipe a bit. Then, using gloves to handle the pipe, remove it and slip it over a straight rod or dowel to let it cool and be straight for use on the rod blank.

In contrast to pvc pipe - which is brittle and will shatter -; the poly irrigation pipe is softer and will bend before breaking and doesn't shatter.

Be safe

p.s.
A lot of times you can go to a location that does irrigation installs and go through their cast offs. You can generally get all of the pipe you need in the size that you need by combing their cast off bins for 0 money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 11:10AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 12:13PM

Garrett Adams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great idea Tom. I was thinking about joining 2
> together but unsure of the seam I'll create. I
> like the idea of using a trim ring.

You can help yourself make a good seam if you make a small bevel on the underside (or inside edge) of the two sections of the material....this allows a good amount of adhesive to fill the joint and still keeps the visible surfaces in contact with each other....making a good looking and very sound seam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 12:26PM by Joe Willsen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster