I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Strongest Tip Top Cement
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 07:25PM

Good Evening Folks,
Just melted the tip on a solid fiberglass boat rod attempting to get the broken tip off for repair. Now the rod will just have to settle for being an inch shorter that it used to be. Question is what kind of glue was used that gentle heating (thats how i started) didn't Release it. Kept heating slowly for quite some time before i got frustrated gave it the big flame and melted the Blank Tip. Any suggestions for better results in the future for unruly tips?
Thanks for all and any input.

Regards

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Strongest Tip Top Cement
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 07:30PM

I have had several that no mater how much heat I put to it would not come off with the ruber band and paper clip way

Take a file and file the tube untill it Seperates then carfully pry it off A little heat also works

been there !!

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 07:30PM

Jim i have the same problem on rods i rebuild what i do now is take a file and file the tube on the tip down to the blank and split the tube to get it off. they must have used a epoxy not hot glue.

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 07:41PM

I will try the file method the next time i run into such a stubborn tip. Little late now LOL
I have two in for repair first one came off with a fight but it came off without blank failure, This one not so lucky.
Fortunately they are bargain rods being fixed for resale so i don't think the inch shorter rod will be a big deal.

Thanks for the input so far.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2015 10:00AM

Store or off the shelf rods usually pop right off Unless they were worked on
Maybe you should try to fid out if he shouves the rod in to try and get a stuck lure

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2015 10:51AM

Sometimes epoxy is used and can be tough to removed. Some guys will use the tip of a soldering iron held against the tiptop tube to break the bond. But even that won't always work.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2015 11:05AM

Like Tom mentioned above, I now always use 5 min. epoxy to glue tip tops onto blanks. I live in CA and the heat from the sun softens up the hot melt glue on tip tops and will let them rotate around a blanks. If I need to remove one, I gently heat the tip top with a Bic lighter while rotating the rod and use needle nose pliers to pull the tip top off. 'Never had a problem with a tip top coming loose since changing to 5 min. epoxy.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 11:08AM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-209.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2015 12:46PM

Jim

Your tip top was glued on with epoxy and that is the problem with epoxy. Since you heated it slowly the heat melted your rod. If you would heat it fast, and not allow the heat to penetrate to the rod blank, the epoxy would have broken down and the tip tip would release using pliers. In my opinion the only way I know to heat it fast is with a propane torch.

Our Flex Coat Tip Top Adhesive is a hot melt glue that is very strong and has a high melting temperature. We are in Texas and much hotter than California and we have never had an issue with the adhesive melting in the sun or even in a car. The advantage to our hot melt adhesive is that it is very easy to heat with a flame and reposition or remove.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 29, 2015 01:04PM

John Cates Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim
>
> Your tip top was glued on with epoxy and that is
> the problem with epoxy. Since you heated it
> slowly the heat melted your rod. If you would
> heat it fast, and not allow the heat to penetrate
> to the rod blank, the epoxy would have broken down
> and the tip tip would release using pliers. In my
> opinion the only way I know to heat it fast is
> with a propane torch.
>
> Our Flex Coat Tip Top Adhesive is a hot melt glue
> that is very strong and has a high melting
> temperature. We are in Texas and much hotter than
> California and we have never had an issue with the
> adhesive melting in the sun or even in a car. The
> advantage to our hot melt adhesive is that it is
> very easy to heat with a flame and reposition or
> remove.

This is how i have the most success, but I'd like to add that sometimes you can't get it off on the first attempt. Here's a really important tip to remember (no pun intended):

If you blast it with a torch quickly and it doesn't come off the first time, you should cool the rod blank and tip back down in some ice water before attempting to do it again. If you don't eliminate the built up heat before each subsequent attempt, you will very likely melt the blank on the second or third attempt to loosen it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 02:09PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-209.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2015 01:57PM

Yeah I will buy that, John. You don't want the heat in the blank.

Flex Coat Company
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2015 06:21PM

I have used Super Hot Melt Glue for many years. I use a glue gun and "shoot" the glue in lines onto a piece of glass. When it cools, I just peel the strips off. I then cut the right size length and dia. and insert it into the tube, briefly heat it with a lighter until it starts to ooze out of the tube and put it on the tip. Any excess that forms below the end of the tube can easily be removed. I have only had two tips come off out of over 3000. Simplest method I could come up with and the best for me at least.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2015 06:32PM

That's one of the key pieces of the puzzle when using hot melt glue - you have got to get some glue inside the tiptop tube. Just putting it on the blank and sliding the tiptop down over the blank tip will only push the glue down the blank - little of it actually gets inside and therefore between the tiptop tube and rod blank.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-204.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2015 09:58AM

We made this video a number of years ago. Check it out.

[www.flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 12:06PM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
> I have used Super Hot Melt Glue for many years. I
> use a glue gun and "shoot" the glue in lines onto
> a piece of glass. When it cools, I just peel the
> strips off. I then cut the right size length and
> dia. and insert it into the tube, briefly heat it
> with a lighter until it starts to ooze out of the
> tube and put it on the tip. Any excess that forms
> below the end of the tube can easily be removed.
> I have only had two tips come off out of over
> 3000. Simplest method I could come up with and
> the best for me at least.

X2 right on Randy. Also, I only use Flexcoat tip top adhesive it is the only one that has never failed !

Tom

Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2015 08:51PM

Would an induction cooktop work? They just heat the metal. Of course the heat can conduct into the blank.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: February 03, 2015 09:06AM

John Krukemeier Wrote:
> Would an induction cooktop work? They just heat
> the metal. Of course the heat can conduct into
> the blank.

Try and let us know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster