I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

High Sticking for my dinner
Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-144.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2015 12:18PM

Just wanted to share a picture of a rod I broke last night. Its been a couple years since I last broke one, and even though I know better than to high stick, it was the fishes fault.....

I was just about done with a retrieve, and my lure was hanging straight up and down when the fish hit. I set the hook straight up, with a little extra power (!), and had to bring the fish in by hand with a broken rod.

I landed two more with the backup rod (released), and dinner was great!

Chris

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High Sticking for my dinner
Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 27, 2015 01:49PM

That's a shame!

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 02:00PM

Hi Chris, That rod can be saved, from where its broken is an easy repair and will still fish like new.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-144.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2015 02:32PM

Hi Dennis,

The repair is what I'm working on, right now! About a six inch piece of the rod fell into the lake, but I am gathering blank pieces for the assembly.

I'm planning on an inner, a replacement section, and an outer sleeve. I'll post pics.

Fishing again this evening!

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 04:09PM

Nice fish Chris. Kind of curious as to what kind of rod that was.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 04:57PM

if - you think you will do that again ?? Maybe a composit may be better I take it that was graphite

Nice Fish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2015 08:24PM

Chris; I'm not sure that break is from High Sticking.
It has been my experience that damage from H. S. usually shows up in a break nearer the tip, not the handle. I'm more inclined to believe that break is from a hard hook set with short line and that shock of such snapping the rod. I see that type with a lot of flipping sticks where strong line, short line out, and hard hooks occur on a regular basis. Causing blank failure.

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 08:27PM

Expensive dinner.

Curt

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-140.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2015 11:17PM

Lynn: I believe it was an IM6, 8 weight fly rod blank I bought from Cabelas about 10 years ago. I had built it for Steelhead, but decided to try it on the walleye.....

Bill: Gonna try not to do that again! First time for a break like that.

Steve: I definitely gave it a killer hookset! Surprised me by hitting right before I lifted the lure out of the water.

Curt: Another rod to practice repairs on, AND A FRIED WALLEYE DINNER! Yay!

Chris

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 09:28AM

Agree with Steve. The hook set instantly exceeded the lift capacity of the blank...snap.

Posted by: Ben Eipert (170.185.147.---)
Date: January 28, 2015 01:15PM

Had that happen once on a 7lb smallmouth. Only thing is I got lucky on the rod and it did not break. Nice fish though!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 01:33PM

I'm also with Steve on this one, happed to me once on a hookset when not high sticked.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 04:03PM

10 year old IM 6 guess that rod has seen it's days
Sure you can repair - it may last

Time to upgrade - I never liked IM 6 blanks Take a look at RodGeeks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Miles Miller (---.lightspeed.mssnks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 07:27PM

Is that a Daiwa Procaster? That model is a great, solid reel.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-131.myvzw.com)
Date: January 29, 2015 02:53AM

Miles,

Yup, it is a Daiwa Procaster 1000. Nice smooth reel.

Chris

Posted by: Scott Gamble (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: January 29, 2015 03:36AM

When I was a fishing guide I used to see at least one rod a week break from anglers doing something, from high sticking to flicking/shaking rod hard when snagged and so on, the way you broke your rod have seen that as well several times with lure or fly very close to boat when fish strike only for the angler to lay back into it and strike, result very often broken rod normally in the first third of the rod from the tip down tho seen them break lower as well but less common, sometime wondered if the blank had been bruised from travel or from use that causes it to break lower than expected. But pretty much always it was from high sticking the rod that made the break.

SG Custom Rods
Australia

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2015 07:10PM

Agree with others...not a high stick issue. Short line...no shock absorber...and over zealous hookset due to adrenalin. My one and only break from actual fishing was much the same. Reeling in a fish only to have it stolen by a barracuda once it reached the boat. Just couldn't keep myself from trying to snatch it back for my dinner instead of his.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster