I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is the latest and most beautiful decorative technique?
Posted by: Beau Lindsey (---.sub-70-193-192.myvzw.com)
Date: January 27, 2015 09:29AM

I am looking for the most beautiful technique for my custom rod. I was looking at snakeskin and feathers but not sure I want to go that way now. Any ideas would be appreciated and the names of a few great builders in Florida. I live in Ft Myers but am willing to travel a little bit for that one of a kind rod. Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is the latest and most beautiful decorative technique?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2015 09:37AM

www.tackleworks.org

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2015 12:15PM

I'm not in Florida.
However, but I can build you a rod using the Playboy Calendar...
Each month you can tear off a page, and be assured that you have the most beautiful and up to date rod on the water...

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 27, 2015 12:42PM

Beau Lindsey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am looking for the most beautiful technique for
> my custom rod. I was looking at snakeskin and
> feathers but not sure I want to go that way now.
> Any ideas would be appreciated...

There are some guys doing some incredible things with digital imagery. It may not be for everyone, but it certainly can be very high on the bling scale.

Along those lines, you can have your favorite builder work with a talented airbrush artist to create similar kinds of creative work in paint.

The weaves of contemporary masters like Steve McLeod are amazing: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Billy Vivona is doing some really creative work with EVA grips.

Mark Crouse's work is understated beauty from butt to tip.

I'd be the proud owner of a rod sporting the artistry of any of these guys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 12:55PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 27, 2015 01:32PM

Follow up post deleted at the suggestion of others.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 02:19PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 27, 2015 06:28PM

Perhaps a bit corny but.....' Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. Do the absolute best you can do with any technique you have mastered in Rod Building. Put it into your current build knowing it represents the best you can do at this time. The more it involves sophisticated electrical, digital, power equipment ..... the more you have to give credit to modern machinery other than your 'hands/eyes/sweat/ and coordination'! Lots of 'Hand Made' really isn't anymore! Pick your level of 'Custom' in this art of rod building. Your customers will appreciate you, once they get to know your passion and effort for your work!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 06:37PM

Check out the photo page There are a lot of builders there That do some VERY nice work
Also get Mudholes Calander Very nice rods on it
On the photo page you can get the builders name and email on how they did a rod -- Many ideas

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eddie Anderson (---.73-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2015 06:07PM

I would have to say the latest most beautiful technique is what ever you decide it to be for you.
That said I am a Florida rod builder in Palmetto. My rods are sold under the moniker EA Custom Rod. I am a wood worker that loves to fish So I have merged these to passions in to building most of my rods with slit grip inlayed would handles and decorating the area between these grips with tiger 3D wraps, crackel techniques, marbling and what ever else may come to mind. leave message on the form If you would like to see samples of my work I Can email them to you or come visit me in Palmetto.

Posted by: Beau Lindsey (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2015 07:30AM

Hi Eddie, Thanks for the info. How long have you been building custom rods?

Posted by: Eddie Anderson (---.73-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2015 04:49PM

This is my tenth year. I rebuilt one of my grandfathers rods with the help of a friend's father and that got me hooked.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster