I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Products Similar to Permagloss
Posted by: Jaret Hunter (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 02:41PM

I am building an 8ft gator blank and it obviously has that unfinished look to it. I was wondering if there is any products similar to permagloss or lumiseal that I could use to give the blank that "glossy" look to it. I am just interested to know if there are any "less" strong products that aren't as "toxic". I've just read so many posts and reviews about these urethane products being really nasty and bad for you. I have also read people putting flex coat or pro kote over the entire rod not just the wraps, I don't want to add all that extra weight by using the wrong product on the rod. Thanks, Jaret Hunter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Products Similar to Permagloss
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2015 02:51PM

Don't drink them and they aren't likely to hurt you. Provide adequate ventilation.

You can also use any of a number of clear, exterior water based urethanes. They won't dry quite as hard, but as reasonably durable regardless.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 03:00PM

Where do guys get the idea they need to epoxy the whole blank? Wondering where that comes from? See it here all the time.

Date: January 26, 2015 03:11PM

I don't know where the idea comes from but I've been reading about it on all of these different forums. Any products you could recommend from the water based section of the urethanes?

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: January 26, 2015 03:15PM

I needed to do a quick coat on a rod that was going to be used in a youth "learn to fly cast" session. I used clear Krylon. 2 light coats. All I needed was for the finish to look good for a few weeks and give the blanks some protection. that was 4 years ago and it still looks good.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 04:45PM

Wanna bet Jaret is from florida? THat's where the you have to finish the entire blank thing comes from. They are still swearing by gargantuan sized wire guides.

Posted by: Jaret Hunter (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 04:55PM

Okay Billy Vivona? Sorry I'll rename the thread "people from florida think" I didn't start this thread for your opinion on people from Florida. Just asking for some helpful opinions on the subject. I'll make sure to throw away my gargantuan guides FYI. Thanks

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 05:37PM

Hi Jaret,

I didnt mean anything by the question. I was just asking because I don't remember coming along this while learning about rod building. Just wondered if there was a video or builder out there saying to apply finish to the whole blank for a specific purpose. It gets asked here a lot by guys. Curiosity about the source. My apologies if it came off judging.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 05:59PM

See, I was right, Florida! HAHA. And for the bonus, you got those big wire guides going on the rod/

Date: January 26, 2015 06:54PM

Lmao surprisingly no wire guides or van staal reels for me. Out of curiosity where are you from? New York?

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 06:57PM

I see that a lot in NJ. A few local well known builders do it so it must have to be done. Mostly on heavy off shore stuff. I built some and was asked why didn't I finish the whole blank. On these rods weight is not an issue. As BIlly noted its a regional thing. One guy does it and all follow . If i took offense to things billy said online i would have driven over there and kicked his ass several times . Its the NY attitude you are offended by, not his point.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: January 26, 2015 06:58PM

No Adam Curtis your cool man it wasn't your post that bothered me. I have just read all over this forum and other ones guys writing that they put finish on the entire blank which obviously seems dumb I was just interested to know if there was any products similar to the urethane based ones that I could use if I wanted to fully go for the gloss look. But apparently since I'm from florida I'm obviously going to have to listen to the master and fully gloss my rod and slap wire "gargantuan" guides on it.

Date: January 26, 2015 07:01PM

Oh alright Fred thanks for your opinion I appreciate it and yeah it has to just be the New York in him that bothered me. He'll move down here once he retires like the rest of them and become a true "Floridian".

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2015 07:34PM

A urethane product is going to be better for coating the blank than an epoxy. It's lighter and tougher. If you have to do it, I'd go the urethane route.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 08:20PM

Google up any auto clears A lot have small containers you can get
One i have used is klass Kote urethain Comes in a kit You can also get a urethain thinner in Fast - med _ and slow to give extra time before setup

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 08:09AM

Hi Jaret,
If your gator blank is ribbed (if not disregard this post) and you are looking to hide them with permagloss or equal i would assume you would need a NY Cab load of product. Star Rods are very popular here in SouthWest Florida and they are completely epoxied over ribbed blank (at least the ones i worked on). A pain to replace guides on. I am not a fan of the ribbed blanks and would also NOT cover it in epoxy. Note experienced enough to say if you can sand the ribs off. Good Luck.

There are no large wire guides here, must be an upstate thing, they would have rusted off years ago. Charlotte Harbor is one of the harshest marine environments in the US. That is why Mercury Marine had their test facility here.

Billy, Hows he weather today? Brutal here this morning, 70 degrees and sunny :)

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 12:29PM by Jim Scott.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 27, 2015 08:19AM

Okay, not to stir the pot, but i have to ask.

I understood the purpose of your other question in the previous thread asking about sun and salt. With this question as a follow up to that one it appears you're leaning towards a finished blank.

Do you already own a gator and your asking the best way to proceed with it or are you still looking for a blank to purchase? If you're looking to purchase and want a smooth glossy blank I have to wonder why you're still considering the gator in the first place?

Date: January 27, 2015 10:57AM

Thank you every body for your advice I appreciate it. And thank you Jim Scott the blank is indeed ribbed that's the main reason why I was considering finishing the entire blank with a sanded and gloss look (and your right the weather is just brutal down here, storm of the century) And John E Powell I own multiple gator rods that are finished and not ribbed and are completely glossed. I have multiple blanks of gators now and these ones are ribbed and I was wondering if I should completely finish them or leave them how they are. I don't mind the raw unfinished look but I was seeking others opinions to see what they thought about it. Thanks again everyone I appreciate all the feedback.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 05:15PM

Sand the blank down Most are just that the company is too lazy to sand them Cheaper more sales ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 10:19AM

Bill I don't think any company out there is "too Lazy" to do a certain step in their building process. Things are done and not done for reasons. That lazy remark was pretty lame for a nicer way to put it than I wanted to.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster