I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave guides and Saltwater
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2015 11:44AM

Hey guys so am building a rod that will be primarily used in freshwater, but at times maybe used in saltwater. I was planning on using Microwave nanolite guides. How does the chrome guides handle saltwater? I could use the blank ones, but I would prefer not to. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave guides and Saltwater
Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 11:47AM

They hold up extremely well, I only fish saltwate 99% of the time for Specks and Reds down here in Louisiana. Just hose them off like you should normally do with any other rods.

Posted by: brad parker (96.126.225.---)
Date: January 26, 2015 05:09PM

I am the same as Trahan, I fish mostly saltwater. I have a set of the MicroWave guides I have been fishing since July of 2012. The hook keeper is gone, but the guides still look great.

Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2015 10:55PM

Awesome thanks guys!

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nianet.org)
Date: January 27, 2015 08:44AM

Guides are great in the salt!

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 27, 2015 12:03PM

brad parker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am the same as Trahan, I fish mostly saltwater.
> I have a set of the MicroWave guides I have been
> fishing since July of 2012. The hook keeper is
> gone, but the guides still look great.

If I may ask, why didn't the hook keeper hold up, I would assume it was washed down with the rest of the rod?

If you were to do it again what would you use to replace the hook keeper with?

Posted by: brad parker (96.126.225.---)
Date: January 27, 2015 03:22PM

Thin wire hook keepers just do not last for me. I figure they are a different compound that guides. I am working on getting some tion coated to see if that will help.

Posted by: Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear (---.crescommwifi.com)
Date: January 28, 2015 11:24AM

Not conventional but try using a small guide for a hook keeper.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 28, 2015 01:07PM

Has anyone ever used a small guide as a hook keeper for saltwater use and if so what size/type did you use?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 12:05PM by Chester Kiekhafer.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-145.myvzw.com)
Date: January 30, 2015 09:36AM

I haven't used a hook, but I have used small, stainless steel snake guides for hook keepers, and they work out great.

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2015 08:15PM

I can say for a fact that the 316 stainless that American tackle uses is better than the top leading competitor. Hands down the act guides are way better. I had a set of the chrome microwaves and a set of virtuse guide on surf and on inshore rods. I used them daily and did not wash off for a year tring to make them corrode. Not a speck of it. I did this to see if I wanted to sell to customers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster