I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing a Gator Blank
Posted by: Jaret Hunter (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 11:31AM

Hey I am finishing a Gator build right now and I am contemplating if I should leave it with the raw unfinished look or finished completely. I have seen and read that people like the way they look unfinished but unsure if I should do that. Any opinions on what I should do? And if so what product would you recommend for finishing the rod with a glossy look? Thanks Jaret Hunter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing a Gator Blank
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 26, 2015 12:44PM

I like the retro look myself, I vote unfinished.

Posted by: Jaret Hunter (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 02:04PM

I like that look too, but will it affect the blank in the long run being exposed to sun and salt with no coat over it?

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 26, 2015 02:41PM

I used to build on some Shakespeare blanks years ago that had a similar unsanded raw finish. What I found was that the rods seemed to collect and show dirt more readily than smooth blanks do so they require more frequent cleaning. Asking me to speculate as to the effects of long term sun and salt exposure? I'd suspect that if rinsed and cleaned regularly the finish will last and perform similarly. If not cleaned frequently in a marine environment, It probably would experience an accelerated finish decline compared to a similar sanded, finished, smooth blank. At what rate that acceleration would be, who knows, there are too many factors and variables to consider.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 08:35PM

You can use the raw blanks But after completed ( not before - fisheyes ) use an auto dressing over it every once in a while I like Mothers
I also like to sand them smooth

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 08:38PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 04:48PM

jaret the gator blank the i did had rings on it and was not a smooth finish. What I did was after the wraps where done and coated i mix up some rod finish and coated the blank in between the guide wraps with a thin coat of the finish. I fished with that rod jigging with a good bend in the rod and it held up.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 06:42PM

There are a lot of blanks that are sanded and smooth

Some thing to look into - less work

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster