I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Input on my plan for getting back into this
Posted by: Miles Miller (---.lightspeed.mssnks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2015 04:29PM

I posted a thread about rod dryers awhile back and have had time and research to figure out what my plan is for getting back into this. I think I am going to buy the rod dryer from Mudhole for $40, and then start with their CRB split grip kit. It comes with a $30 reel which is a little kicker. I have two questions about this kit. Is it actually cork or foam cork; and then I would like to not have a foregrip. What would be a good alternative winding check to replace the foregrip?

I also have a cabelas 6' MH spinning rod that was my first custom build. I skip flukes n senkos with it, 20# braid and 8# fluoro leader. Should I go the KR concept or would the NGC concept be okay? I was thinking about just getting Fuji alconite guides.

I don't want to spend A LOT of money quite yet, so I'm trying to keep it relatively inexpensive. Any input would expect great!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Input on my plan for getting back into this
Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2015 05:40PM

I built the full handle version of that kit last year, for my friend's Dad.
In my opinion it' a great all-around rod.
The cork was okay. I think the the guides were Pac-Bay Hialoy, but whatever brand they are, they were more than good enough.
The free reel has a lot of plastic parts, but "Dad" used it all season with 15 pound braid, and it's still going strong.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2015 05:42PM

Miles,
Sounds like a plan.
For the reel seat, if you have an arbor inside, just insure that the arbor comes to the front of the reel seat. Then, put a winding check in front of that and do your wraps. Simple and easy.
You can use any guides that you like. Standard Fuji Alconite guides work well.
If you want to go with anything else, go for it. All of the different types and styles will all work.

Another alternative that many folks including myself have used are the pac bay minima guides. they work well and are inexpensive.

Be safe

Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.31.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 25, 2015 06:06PM

Personally I like the PacBay minimas. I have used the alconite before and had no issues at all but I ended up going back to the minimas. For the price, weight, and durability I love them. I am guessing you are building a bass rod so I would at least take a look at a micro guide system. There are also specific winding checks made to go flush with your real seat.

Posted by: Miles Miller (---.lightspeed.mssnks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2015 06:41PM

I will look into the pac bay minimas, I have heard a lot of discussion about them.

I should of mentioned this earlier, but I have always used basic vinyl/rubber winding checks. I ended up using two, one on top of each other since there was such a big gap. Out of the four rods I have made as a rod builder, they have worked great but don't look clean. Is there a way to know what ID and OD I need so I can purchase it at the same time as everything else?

I'm sure I just haven't done enough research so I do apologize, thanks for all the help though. It's greatly appreciated!

Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.31.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 25, 2015 11:10PM

The winding checks I use are the tapered vinyl ones from Mudhole that sit flush with a size 16 seat and the one from Jann's that sits flush with a size 17. Might want to check them out

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 11:32AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster