I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Conventional Reels and Large-Diameter Blanks
Posted by: Chris Garrity (98.225.164.---)
Date: January 25, 2015 03:43PM

I'm building a conventional surf plugging rod, and I have a conundrum: I have a blank that with a large enough diameter that none of the readily available trigger reel seats will fit: I need a size 24, and the largest trigger reel seat I can find is a 22. Pacific Bay evidently made a 24 for a while, but it was evidently discontinued a few years ago. I had one, but like a genius, I gave it away a few months ago.

This kind of thing happens with blue-water rods all the time: the glass broomstick blanks that the pelagic guys use have very thick butts, and the aluminum reel seats made for these rods come with inside diameters well over 1 inch. But these rods don't need a trigger, and I want one for this surf rod.

I might be able to scrounge up a size 24 trigger reel seat somewhere, but thinking about this made me wonder what other builders do in this situation. It's not exactly the most common problem out there -- if it were, someone would make a 24mm trigger seat -- but it's also not a unique problem: there have to be a few of you out there that have run into this before, most likely with surf conventional rods on the heavier side.

So my question: what would the guys out there do here? Just accept that you can't have a trigger? Use a tube seat and build your own trigger? Or do something else?

Any ideas here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Conventional Reels and Large-Diameter Blanks
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2015 05:47PM

Chris.
Take a size 22 and ream the reel seat out so that it will slip over the blank.

Be safe.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2015 06:42PM

Reaming may work, but sometimes it just requires more material than you have available to dispense with.

There is an opportunity here for a real custom solution. Perhaps you can cut off the trigger and surrounding area from a #22 and epoxy it onto the bottom portion of a #24, neatly of course. There is a solution, you just have to find it. Hopefully others will chime in with suggestions of their own.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2015 07:12PM

What about a trigger clamp for a deckhand style rod? There is currently one on the market that is sized at 29mm

Posted by: Chris Garrity (98.225.164.---)
Date: January 25, 2015 07:16PM

I should add one thing: the deckhand-style trigger won't work here. They attach to the rod via clamps, and the reel here does not have either a clamp or the screws that come with a clamp.

Date: January 26, 2015 11:46AM

[www.grip-n-hook.com]

Pick up a new reel that uses this style rod clamp.

Then you will have a nice new reel to match your new rod.

Be safe

Date: January 26, 2015 11:54AM

Give Mudhole a call.
Ask them about the bag of 104 Graphite triggers that they are selling on the internet @#$%& site.

Perhaps they would sell you a couple of triggers for a few $$. I doubt that you need the full bag of 104.

These appear to be full length triggers that could be attached to the underside of the reel seat rather simply.

Refer to item # 181650653634

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 11:56AM

Thanks, Roger - that looks terrific!

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 06:43PM

Chris - I have one in hand. The length is 3.250 in length, .680 width,.175 to where blank would hit
and 1.090 from blank to bottom of trigger. If you strike out with Mud Hole contact me as I have a few of them
and would part with one to help you out. I have used them with plate seats.
Bob

Date: January 27, 2015 01:10AM

Robert,
Out of curiosity, I had never seen these long triggers before today. What system do you use to attach the triggers to the rod, reel seat or what ever?

Thanks for any updates.

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 04:39PM

Roger, they are installed the same as a plate seat or a guide-
with thread and epoxy . Fuji designed then, I believe, for use with
the plate seat.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 28, 2015 09:50AM

Thanks for the offer, Roger -- I may take you up on it.

But first, I have a decision to make: I am either going to bid on Mudhole's fleabay item, and amass a lifetime supply of these things, or I'm going to see if nobody buys them, and see if I can call them and get them to sell me a handful of them. I don't need 104 of them, of course, but at fifty cents apiece, I could amass a lifetime supply, and become the kingpin of these things, for a fairly reasonable investment.

I very much like this solution, by the way -- I didn't know they existed until I read your post. Thanks for taking the time to make it. There can sometimes be issues with getting a conventional reel's feet to sit snugly in a plate seat, but this can usually be fixed fairly easily -- much more easily than any other method of putting a trigger on a surf blank too big for a size 22 seat.

I'll keep you posted as this progresses. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster