I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: EVA Rear Grip
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 26, 2015 12:42PM

I was really skeptical when I heard about the rubber cement method a while back, then I saw the YouTube video and it’s really pretty amazing.

I've used another method that hasn't been mentioned yet in the thread so I'll just throw this out there for what It's worth. It's the compressed air method.

1) Bevel the inside of the butt end of the grip with an Exacto blade to help funnel the epoxy between the grip and blank when the grip is pushed down. This can be done with all methods. Skipping this step causes the sharp edge to act as a squeegee which pushes most of the epoxy off the blank. You'll have more epoxy under your grip if you bevel the end of the grip.

2) Using any of the methods described above, use a small air hose nozzle to deliver a shot of compressed air between the grip and the blank as you push it into place. Keep the nozzle just under the top edge of the grip and use your thumb and index finger to constrict the top edge of the grip to prevent the air from just blowing back up the edge of the nozzle. The idea is for the compressed air to slightly expand the grip, sort of like blowing up a balloon, as you slide it into place. The slight expansion of the grip that occurs as the compressed air passes between the grip and blank reduces the amount of epoxy that gets squeegeed off the end resulting in more epoxy remaining under the grip.

You can also sometimes save a grip that didn't end up in the right spot using compressed air. Say you thought you could just slide it on but it didn't quite get to where you need it, or maybe you pushed it too far and need to get it back but you can't, use the compressed air to expand the grip slightly and most times you can loosen it enough to recover the grip and get it placed correctly.

I keep my air hose handy with every stretch grip install, even for grips I've reamed and trial fit. I recommend you practice this a couple times as there's a bit of a learning curve to get the technique right. You have to coordinate the right compressive force in your hand (to prevent air loss back up the outside of the nozzle), and allow your hand's grip on the foam to expand as the grip travels down the blank (if necessary to accommodate increasing blank diameter), while keeping the compressed air nozzle in the grip as you pushing the grip along the blank. You don't want to learn how to do this with a stuck grip that didn't reach its intended resting place with epoxy all over the blank.

Also, don't try this with cork (or other rigid grip materials); you can split the grip in two. It only works with elastic materials that can expand like EVA or Hypalon.

I should confess that I don't do what I just described much anymore, but it does work really well. Now, I pretty much ream everything to fit, and then mount the grips. They're two reasons I went this route. The first reason is to reduce the weight of the rear grip. A stretched grip hasn't had any interior material removed so it can be significantly heavier than a grip that has been reamed to fit, especially on the long trolling rod grips I build. The second reason is for safety. I don't like turning blanks on a lathe. I had a graphite blank explode on me a while back and I spent the better part of an afternoon in the emergency room with a doctor picking rod blank shards out of my thumb, hand, wrist, forearm and cheek (some shards having to be cut out). So If I have a build where a seamless transition of the various grip parts is part of the design, I make sure to pre fit everything so they just slide in place without expansion of the grip materials. If that's not a concern for a particular rod, I'll use the push and expand method with air, but I still pre-ream an undersized grip hole to within 1/8” of the blank size.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 01:15PM by John E Powell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2015 03:30PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Garry,
> No question about it,
> When you use rubber cement to fix tires, you can
> ONLY drive your car on dry days.
>
> A very popular glue in desert areas!!
>
> By the way, if you believe that I have a great
> parcel of swamp land for you.
>
>
> Be safe

Well Roger;
I should be okay while I'm in Arizona, but I have to return to Canada in April...
Luckily I will switching back to my snow tires for the summer up there!

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 06:03PM

Ken Finch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Given that the epoxy method only takes about a
> minute to begin with, I would have a hard time
> seeing any time savings from anything else. Plus
> it doesn't require me to buy any other cement. I
> can just use what I have on hand for my other rod
> building chores. I'll stick.

Well, here's to being open-minded and trying new things! LOL

jeremy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 05:27PM

new things are nice - but - I just slide it down if it does not go at least 3/4 the way down - dry - I ream it Then mark where it stops tape up the blank above that Add glue on the loose area you can turn the eva to make sure there is glue all the way in the grip Then it just slides down pull the tape off and any glue comes off with the tape Then a quick clean up - Easy no wast of a grip

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster