I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
8 wt. fly rod
Posted by: Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear (---.crescommwifi.com)
Date: January 23, 2015 11:12AM

planning to build 8 wt. fly rod with a short fighting butt {2"} my question is how many of your customers prefer a irremovable one virus a fixed,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8 wt. fly rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2015 12:28PM

About the only time anyone removes such a butt is to get the rod to fit in a case. For that reason, I generally built then with a 2 inch fixed butt built right on the blank butt end.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2015 01:07PM

I do the same as Tom K, I do ask the question to customers, but I have never had one request one that is removable.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 03:38PM

I do the same, fighting but fixed to the end of the blank. I have only built 1 removable fighting butt and they lost it within a year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 03:38PM by Bob Riggins.

Date: January 23, 2015 04:21PM

Great thanks for the advise I was leaning towards the fixed butt to me it would be a real pain trying to insert a fighting butt while playing an angry Steel head I will try to talk him out of the idea.

Thanks again

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 05:58PM

My experience is a mixed bag.....most want the fixed, but some want the removable. Never asked any of them why.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 06:08PM

Fighting butts come in several different shapes and sizes for fighting fish of different species and sizes. I would build a rod with a threaded, removable fighting butt unless I were certain of the shape and size fighting butt I needed and preferred.

Date: January 23, 2015 11:30PM

Great advice thanks so much.

Jerry

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 12:00AM

if it is fixed you will not be able to loose it .
SID

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 12:53PM

I have only made one removable for myself. Its on my 5wt switch rod. I did this so I can have the bottom switch handle on there while spey casting but then take it off when I am over head casting in a float tube.

Date: January 24, 2015 01:21PM

I like the threaded Idea I seem to remember Landmark used to sell a kit with a threaded fitting. I check both Anglers Workshop, and Mud Hole but it does not appear they carry the landmark line any more.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 02:41PM

Actually Allen Putnam of Landmark made a plug in adaptor that was secured with a tight fitting "O" ring. He also made integral seats of diamond wood where the fighting butt was part of the up-locking seat. I still have a number of each. The fighting butt on the second was/is 2" in length. I use this seat on all my personal rods for 8 &9 wt. Steelhead rods.

Date: January 24, 2015 03:32PM

I knew Allen from the 1980's he was trying to market a rod blank called Blue or Gray Heron. I actually wrapped a couple of rods for him. Don't really know what happened to that endeavor. I looked up Landmark on the intranet and found they still had appear to be in business is Allen still around?
Any way I am looking for a 2".

Jerry

Posted by: william jensen (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 04:07PM

Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great thanks for the advise I was leaning towards
> the fixed butt to me it would be a real pain
> trying to insert a fighting butt while playing an
> angry Steel head I will try to talk him out of the
> idea.
>
> Thanks again

I have an 8wt with a removable. did it to fit into a regular rod tube, have since built some with fixed. one thing though, put the fighting butt on before you hook the fish, even before you cast :) I've never had it come off while fishing and haven't lost it. It is another bit of gear to keep track of but it hasn't been tough for me.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 05:03PM

Gerald, no, I am sorry to say that Allen died some years ago. He had me test and evaluate each and every new reel seat that he was thinking about marketing. Sometimes he would send me a dozen seats, and then a few days later another dozen. We did that for years. A great loss for rod building when he passed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2015 05:07PM by Randolph Ruwe.

Date: January 26, 2015 12:52AM

I am sorry to hear about Allen as I said I wrapped a few rods for him the last one had a really good looking reel seat and he had me ship it to Lefty Cray I never heard how that came out he also sent me six rod blanks where the butt section was cut six inches too short I was able to insert them build the handle over the insert and sell them. I also have a couple of the all wood reel seats with wood butt plug drilled for the removable fighting butt that had an O ring on the fighting butt shaft. He also used to sell a kit that contained an aluminum butt plug and the fighting butt screwed in, That is what I am looking for in black finish. It sounds like both of us have been building rods for a long time. It looks like the rod blank adventure never worked out.
By the way my friends call me Jerry.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2015 08:57AM

Unless one wants multiple length fighting butts - OR - if one desires a longer effective length of the fly rod - there is really no reason to have a removable FB. Sage blanks - as well as Gatti blanks are manufactured such that one must add on the FB to achieve a 9'0" length. And - this added on FB may be fixed or removable as one desires. No good reason it should be removable though.

A removable FB requires that the aft end of the reel seat be installed 1/2" beyond the end of the blank. So adding all components the effective length of the rod is about 2" longer than designed. This provides a - different feel to the rod - same as moving the casting hand closer to the reel - except more so.
Herb

Date: January 27, 2015 01:23AM

Thanks on less expensive rod blanks I have shorted the butt to accommodate the fighting butt.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2015 08:34AM

Jerry,
No need to cut blank. Just build your FB on the last 1 3/8" of the blank for a 1.75" FB

Date: January 27, 2015 12:05PM

Thanks another great Idea.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster