I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggestions for a freshwater downrigger rod
Posted by: David Boyle (---.lns3.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 23, 2015 07:10AM

Hi,
I'm looking to build a gift rod for friends in Utah who fish Bear Lake using a downrigger. I've seen some photos of the rod they use: it's a St Croix WRKC76LM2 Lite Power, Moderate Action 1/16-3/8 4-10lb

Can anyone suggest any multi-piece blanks that might suit?

I've not used a downrigger. Anything I should be aware of when building the rod?

Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Dave Boyle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions for a freshwater downrigger rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2015 07:35AM

I can't offer any specific blank suggestions, but there was an article in a recent RodMaker on building Great Lakes Trolling Rods and downrigger rods for that style fishing were covered.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 23, 2015 09:13AM

Hey David,

It sounds like the target fish are on the smaller size maybe averaging up to a few pounds. Most traditional downrigger blanks are targeted at salmon, that's the style of rods I build. David, you didn't mention the length of the blank you're looking for. Can it be something other than 7'6" or is this a must? It sounds like the class of blank you need will probably be found in one of three categories.

1) Kokanee trolling blanks (what the rod they currently use is), 2) fly rod blanks (I've built a lot of salmon rigger rods over the years on 10 and 12 weight blanks, you might consider something like a 2-piece 7'6" 6-8 weight blank) If you could go to something shorter, you could always use 3) a moderate action 2-piece walleye blank. Composite or full fiberglass is ideal for most builds, but you can go full low modulus graphite; rod holder angle becomes a factor though. If the rod holders are adjusted to a low position similar to this, full graphite can be used: [www.lymanlures.com].
If the rodholders are angled more upright like this, stick to the composites or full fiberglass: [www.salmonuniversity.com]

Most of my rigger and spring planer rods are full low-modulus graphite. They have literally thousands of hours with no problems. I favor composites on leadcore, copper, thumper, and diver rods. If your friend and the people he fishes with are reasonably careful, unlikely to high stick a fish or let the blank bang on the gunnels of the boat, and position their rodholders low, you can go low-modulus and expand your options.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 02:12PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.jsbrcmta02.jnboar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 10:39AM

If it is lighter line, consider Steelhead blanks, 2 pc, 8-9' long.
Some of the ones we have used are IST993, IST1024, 1025, ST1081, 1082.
I usually like a little heavier (10-12# main line, and then a swivel and whatever lighter leader is called for.
Steelhead blanks have light tips with some backbone in the butt section
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 10:56AM

You stated that you wante a 2pc rod but the Batson RDR710M (1pc) would be a great blank for that line wt. I have built on most of the Batson and MHX downrigger blanks and have found that they all very good. They share one common trait-they are a fiberglass/graphite blend. A particularly strong hit on a correctly bent downrigger set up can explode a straight graphite rod. These composites can take the constant stress of being bent over to almost 90 degrees for long periods of time and still take that strong hit.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 23, 2015 11:30AM

Hi Dick, You mean RainShadow RDR?? ;)

Here is the link: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 11:33AM

------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 11:34AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: David Boyle (---.lns3.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 23, 2015 03:33PM

Thanks all for your info. I will look into the various options suggested.

Cheers
Dave

Posted by: Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear (---.crescommwifi.com)
Date: January 23, 2015 04:15PM

Living in the Pacific N.W. (Port Angeles W.A,) I have built quite a few down rigger rods. So here are some suggestions.
* Down Rigger rods should be fiberglass that said you may have trouble finding a two piece blank under 8' 6" and the blank should be slow to medium action. fiberglass because it is more durable than graphite
* Handle should not be cork. Cork will not hold up as well on these rods because they are fished under constant pressure, I would recommend Eva Foam or even better slick but with a Eva fore grip.
* if there was ever a application where a spiral or Roberts wrap is called for this is it I would never build one without this guide layout.
as far as blanks go I have used Seeker DR 822 and MHX DR 1024 these are primarily salmon blanks I understand that Batson has some fiberglass blanks you may want to look att. I have a couple of Kokanee rods that I use on Seeker SP752 but they are one piece. If you could find a Fiberglass 8 wt. fly rod blank that would work well.
Another source for a blank might be Netcraft for 2 piece fibeglass blanks most fiberglass fly blanks I have ran across don,t go much above a 5 wt.
I hope this helps.

Jerry

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 04:30PM

I agree spiral wrap those puppies, only way to go. I also agree Do not use cork on the butts. I use Carbon fiber butts and Eva fore grips. I have found that the Batson....excuse me Rainshadow Rx6(RDR) blends and the MHX DR blanks are very similar.

Date: January 23, 2015 06:02PM

I have not used a Batson and they are right in my back (about 20 miles) don't know why except i have been happy with what I have been doing. Nothing wrong with Batson products. The carbon fiber would be another way to go, the slick butt is a nylon composite and costs less, holds up very well.

Jerry

Date: January 23, 2015 06:02PM

I have not used a Batson and they are right in my back (about 20 miles) don't know why except i have been happy with what I have been doing. Nothing wrong with Batson products. The carbon fiber would be another way to go, the slick butt is a nylon composite and costs less, holds up very well.

Jerry

Posted by: Steve Satterfield (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 25, 2015 11:17AM

I second the glass blanks and have built around 10 Batson AKA Rainshadow down riggers and plan to add some of the light ones this year for kokanee

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 02, 2015 09:37AM

My downrigger rods are made on the Lamiglas GFW93-2UL

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2015 05:51PM

David,
Lamiglas makes a 7’9” designed specifically for down rigger Kokanee fishing.
[www.lamiglas.com]

We have the S871-2-MHX which we promote as a Trout/Kokanee trolling rod which would work very well.
[www.mudhole.com]

Personally if I were building a down rigger for Kokanee or Trout I’d move the butt guide a bit closer to the reel because these blanks are very parabolic and loaded into a “U” shape will easily put the line past the blank.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 03, 2015 12:18PM

Just to let you know.. Our RX6/Eglass is a blend to give you the perfect action for your type of fishing!

Here are some suggestions: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: February 03, 2015 01:36PM

Ryan, not to steal the thread but I have a question/recommendation for Batson to consider:

Now that running Double divers per side is becoming much more common among trollers, are there any plans to offer a shorter version of the 100H? A 2 piece 8'6" version of the 100H, with the same load capacity and matching but proportional action/length would be ideal. No one really offers anything like it for us to build with. The two blanks should be able to fish loaded with a diver, horizontally side by side, and have the same loaded profile just 9-12" less reach compared to the 100H when loaded for the shorter version.

As an alternative, could you suggest a tip and butt trimming plan for the 100H to end up at 8'6" that would keep the same action and a parallel loaded profile as suggested above?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 02:23PM by John E Powell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster