I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winn grips and aero reel seats
Posted by: Tim J Kelly (---.as13285.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 05:44AM

Making up a spinning rod and wondered whether the winn grips fit into the back of the aero seat without too much trouble. I imagine you can't sand the winn grips back to fit them inside the reel seat easily, so it needs to fit in the seat. Anyone tried this combination?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winn grips and aero reel seats
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: January 23, 2015 09:54AM

I used a Tour Star with an Aero seat. it fit fine but if I remember I had to squeeze it into the seat just a little. once it was started it was fine.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 08:17PM

If you use the 17mm version it should slip right in, 1.05 OD tubing and standard 1.1 in cork grips also slide right in.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2015 08:25PM

I am going to bet against this.
The rear of the Aero seat has a narrow opening.
The top of the seat extends beyond the vertical axis, so it reaches over the top of the grip...
Square cut tenons, that might fit into a casting seat don't fit without some hand carving, or machining to a smaller diameter.

Date: January 24, 2015 11:27AM

I've got a 16 size. It's always a snug fit with duplon, so won't be surprised if it's a struggle. Any tips on whether it's possible to sand down the Winn grip if necessary?

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 04:48PM

The Aero 16 has an inner diameter of .998' the Aero 17 has an inner diameter of 1.08"

The Winn grip will not work on an Aero 16 it is 1.08 , which is why it will work on an Aero 17.

From what I see on the Winn's that I have here, there is no way to sand them. The coating is so thin you would be right past the color. Now that being said, you could trace the the shape of the reel seat onto the Winn and cut it but I don't think it would look right.

Tom

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 24, 2015 07:55PM

Garry,
The rear grips I use have never had a tenon and neither do the fore grips.

Date: January 24, 2015 10:04PM

Thanks Tom. Looks like there's a fail in my near future!

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2015 12:23AM

Tim J Kelly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Tom. Looks like there's a fail in my near
> future!

Tim. If you like the Winn grip I would return the 16 Aero in exchange for a 17mm. It will go right on the grip and your on your way. Ninety percent of my spinning rod builds get Aero comfort grips its a good reel seat and with the Winn grip should be a sweet set up.

Tom

Date: January 25, 2015 09:02AM

Trouble is I want to put an Alps woven foregrip on the reel seat and that only seems available in 16 size. Might have to put a little duplon into the reel seat and join it to the winn grip maybe? First world problems!

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 28, 2015 09:59AM

Tom Wewerka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Aero 16 has an inner diameter of .998' the
> Aero 17 has an inner diameter of 1.08"
>
> The Winn grip will not work on an Aero 16 it is
> 1.08 , which is why it will work on an Aero 17.
>
> From what I see on the Winn's that I have here,
> there is no way to sand them. The coating is so
> thin you would be right past the color. Now that
> being said, you could trace the the shape of the
> reel seat onto the Winn and cut it but I don't
> think it would look right.
>
> Tom

Tom, I'm curious, what is the outside measure of the 16? I ask because it sounds like a good opportunity to make a paper template by fitting some light construction paper to the inside of the 16, tracing the edge, cutting it out, and then transfer it to the grip with a slight offset favoring a slight shorter cut. I'm thinking the smaller outside size of the 16 would more smoothly transition to the grip than the 17 which will have difference in size equal to the wall thickness of the 17.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster