I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can someone tell me...
Posted by: Robin Barnes (---.lightspeed.okcbok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2015 09:41PM

Can someone tell me what the numbers of a blank mean.....

843,844,845 etc......

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can someone tell me...
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2015 10:50PM

There is no universal system of numbering, they are brand specific. Example: a Batson 905-4 fly rod blank is a 9 ft 5wt 4pc.

Posted by: Robin Barnes (---.lightspeed.okcbok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2015 10:56PM

I thought that I had read somewhere that each number meant something.....but can't remember where I saw that..

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2015 10:59PM

The 84 is the inches (aka 7' blank) and the next number as you describe would be the power. Baston explained it best for my thick skull. I changed the wording a little in case an ambulance chaser is reading this.

It is the power rating of a rod with -0- being the lightest and 9 being the heaviest (ultra-light to extra extra heavy). Power is how much pressure it takes to deflect a blank. The higher the number the stiffer the blank in that specific line of blanks. In other words a three power freshwater bass rod is not going to be the same as a three power saltwater Striper rod.

Click on them in the sponsor column on the left, select "catalog", and go the pages 28-29 for pictures to go with the words.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2015 02:04AM

Robin;
I think you were reading about guides, where each number can mean something

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2015 07:52AM

Some makers use feet rather than inches in their model numbers. As others have said, there is no universal nomenclature for blank model designations.

Posted by: Matt Szatkowski (164.51.108.---)
Date: January 22, 2015 08:09AM

As Tom said, some companies do use feet instead of inches (I believe RodGeeks uses a foot measurement and power as a model number ex. SRF120HMF2 is a 12' heavy power moderate fast action 2 piece surf rod).

Another example would be a Batson SB843. Its a Spinning blank (thats the series its in) 84 inches (7 feet for any metric system users) and the third number is kind of a relative power rating within that lineup of blanks. I may not be 100% as I dont work for Batson, but if you look at this particular blank lineup, the 841 is a ML power and 842 is M; 843 is MH and finally 844 is the H power within that SB line.

Again this is kind of unique to each company and seems ot even change within the same company. In the Batson Rainshadow salwater line (1087, 1088, 1089) it almost seems to be more of a tip size of the rod. Comes in handy when someone hands you a blank and says I want this exact same blank but just a little bit heavier power. (Happens down here in the Panhandle of Florida quite often. Many guys want a 1087 for live baits from the piers and a 1088 for cobia jigs)

Beyond that I think it is just some secret code to give us something to talk about.....

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2015 10:23AM

The thing that's important to remember is that the power numbers are not relative across the board from company to company. One company's 5 power may be another company's 7 power. Often even within the same company a different power scale is used from category to category.

Only the CCS ERN power figure is the same across all models and manufacturers. Only a very small handful of manufacturers use them, sadly.

Posted by: Robin Barnes (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 22, 2015 01:54PM

Ok, is there a standard for line sizes and lure weights? How do you know the action and power when a company only gives out this information....like lamiglas.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 22, 2015 02:09PM

Robin,
short answer is NO.
Unless its an IGFA line class rated blank the numbers refer to anything the marketing department thought would sell that blank.

10 to 17# test on a blanks means nothing as 10# what?

If its say ANDE it may break at around 12# with a good knot. 17# on other brands, 20# on others
There is no standard on what a label means for # test line either
So you have have one set of marketing folks using another set of marketing folks verbage to sell a blank.

Some folks sell 30# class line as the strongest 17# test line out there. Its thicker than regular 17# line is (whatever regular means)

Line Class has meaning: its the MAXIMUM strain at which the line WILL break the rest is all marketing.

Its like what does the 150 on a F150 truck mean relative to the 1500 on a GMC. Well whatever your answer to that itsvastly more meaningful than the stuff written on blanks and packages of line.

here is an article on the lines that may be more clear than i:

[www.gamefishin.com]

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 02:11PM by Lou Auret.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2015 02:58PM

No rationale for many blank designations. For instance Lamiglas listed 1 blank as 109 3M and another blank in the same series as a 108 2M. Both blanks were 9' and trying to figure out why one is listed as 109 and the other as 108, I could never do.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 07:38AM

Hi,

Can I say, " buyer beware!" Sales gimmick, each company trying to get an edge over others. There are no standards except for IFGA and maybe within a company. Has always amazed me how a blank can be rated 20-100# class line, Sure you can use line anywhere within that range but where is the sweet spot for enjoyable usage of the blank/rod. Interesting how a company have one range for a factory rod and a different range for the same blank.

A very good reason to go to the EXPO and them you can flex all the blanks you desire and come home with a book full of note. A great opportunity to expand your blank knowledge.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster