I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Among the Batson distributed blanks
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 20, 2015 02:42PM

Serious question which could easily be taken the wrong way:

A post below in another thread got me wondering, which blank line among those distributed now by Batson is considered to be the premier offering distributed by Batson? Is it a line of blanks under the Rainshadow branding or Loomis branding?

The advertising jargon has me confused... is it "The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet." or "[identifying name omitted]'s GEN2 of USA made fishing rod blanks..."?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Among the Batson distributed blanks
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: January 20, 2015 03:26PM

What is the brand name of the blank? If it says Batson then it's a Batson product. If it says NFC then it's an NFC product. Two different products from different companies distributed by one company.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2015 07:48PM

What's your definition of "premier?" If you are talking quality, comparing brands is often......in the eye of the beholder! Batson offers a range of blanks, made of different composites and at different price points.

NFC is the Gary Loomis company he started after his non-compete was up with Shimano.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 01:04AM by Phil Erickson.

Date: January 21, 2015 07:51AM

Ken,

That is not what I asked.

Phil,

I think premier is pretty easy to understand. There can only be one top of the line product, the premier product. Among the Batson distributed products is the premier product offering now among a Batson Rainshadow line of blanks or a line of NFC blanks?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: January 21, 2015 08:19AM

From their website these would be the "top of the Rainshadow line"
The New IMMORTAL Series Rod Blanks

Introducing the new IMMORTAL series of rod blanks. The Jaguar Design recharged the entire line from the current offering of RX8 blanks. Inspired by the new HDSC designs, these blanks have been strategically calculated to impress. New designs and refreshed RX8 material have been meticulously engineered to astound. In this new lineup, there are all forms of bass casting, bass spinning, popping, and walleye. These blanks are sure to outperform in every category. The new IMMORTAL series touts revolutionary processing and progressive methodology to deliver hyper-performance blanks that come just below the flagship offering. Boasting many technologies, you can count on these to deliver exhilarating levels all around.
======
RX9 logo
As our flagship offering, this graphite material is brand new for 2014 and represents the pinnacle of technological-innovation available from RainShadow. Utilizing proprietary ultra-high modulus Toray carbon fiber, we combine this with a brand new nano compound technology based resin system and a classified design. The results? This is the lightest, strongest, most sensitive material used in blanks we offer. We were able to achieve not only amazing strength-to-weight ratios, but truly jaw-dropping sensitivity as well.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: January 21, 2015 10:43AM

Both the marketing segments posted above are about Batson blanks, not NFC blanks. The "in blanks we offer" refers to Batson blanks.

Date: January 21, 2015 12:43PM

I'm assuming the Et[e]rnity² blanks are Batson's "Flagship" blanks (their designation not mine), not the Immortal line of blanks. From what I can infer, NFC blanks are simply designated HM, IM, and SM class blanks; HM being the high modulus blanks.

So the question is, assuming the above is correct, Batson Rainshadow Et[e]rnity² vs NFC HM. Which would be the true premier line of blanks distributed by Batson?

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 21, 2015 05:05PM

I can clear the air..

Hi everyone, I wanted to help people understand straight from the source! I hope this helps, please contact me directly if you have any more questions.

Very first thing to get out of the way. Batson Enterprises is a brand umbrella. This allows us to distribute nearly anything! Batson Enterprises is the place that WHOLESALE customers come to order from.
So if you have a business license and can meet the minimums, you can buy direct from Batson Enterprises.
Batson Enterprises does not have any branded product called Batson Enterprises.

RainShadow blanks is Batson Enterprises blank line under this umbrella. The designs are proprietary from Jaguar Designs that is also under the Batson Umbrella.
Jaguar Designs does work for not only with Batson, but large OEM's, Private Labels, etc.. Mike Thorson is the VP of Engineering and the head of Jaguar Designs.

RainShadow rod blanks have (2) "Ultra High Modulus" offerings. These are the top of the line RainShadow blanks! These are the premier offering from RainShadow.
Eternity2 is the flagship of RainShadow rod blanks. It comes with all new RX9: New designs, Materials, processing, etc.. With NANO
Immortal replaced the RX8 line with updated and refreshed designs and materials, processing, etc.. No NANO

North Fork Composites ( Completely separate company ) is Gary Loomis's new venture since the last. He has developed a "GEN2" product. All new materials, processing, designs, etc.. from his previous.
NFC has partnered with Batson Enterprises. Batson Enterprises is the exclusive distributor for NFC. These blanks are one of the best USA made blanks!

NFC blanks has 1 product offering in the "High Modulus" called HM
Batson Enterprises distributes these blanks that are USA made from NFC.
This is NFC's premier offering of blanks. The HM from NFC

I hope this clears the question. If the question is: which one is better? That would be similar to comparing the top end models of cars out today. Just happens that 1 company carries 2 of the top end car models.

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2015 07:13PM

heck

I got a bridge you MUST own One squar foot $285.00 Will tripple in value in the next 3 years

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 21, 2015 09:36PM

Bill, you make no sense. Why do you do this?

Date: January 22, 2015 12:48PM

Ryan,

Thank you for the clear easy to understand explanation highlighting the differences between the Eternity and Immortal lines. That's very helpful to me. I'll review the Eternity blank offerings offerings for an upcoming build.

Will Batson have the full Eternity lineup at the ICRBE or just part of the lineup?

Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: January 22, 2015 12:55PM

Ryan:

I have noticed the term Gen2 being used for the NFC blanks. Does that mean that there are 2 generations of NFC blanks or the "old" loomis stuff and the new Gen2 NFC stuff?

Joe

Date: January 22, 2015 01:54PM

John E Powell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ryan,
>
> Thank you for the clear easy to understand
> explanation highlighting the differences between
> the Eternity and Immortal lines. That's very
> helpful to me. I'll review the Eternity blank
> offerings offerings for an upcoming build.
>
> Will Batson have the full Eternity lineup at the
> ICRBE or just part of the lineup?

Hi John, Thank you so much. We want to make sure its very clear and straight from the source! There have been some reviews of both the Eternity2 and the Immortal, just not on this forum that I can see.

Yes Batson will have sample custom rods of RainShadow Eternity2 and Immortal at ICRBE. They will make you drool!! :)

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: January 22, 2015 01:56PM

Joe Johnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ryan:
>
> I have noticed the term Gen2 being used for the
> NFC blanks. Does that mean that there are 2
> generations of NFC blanks or the "old" loomis
> stuff and the new Gen2 NFC stuff?
>
> Joe

Hi Joe, NFC by Gary Loomis has incorporated GEN2 since the company has opened its doors. Unfortunately they have done the best job on communicating this to the general public. There have been 2 "generations" of "Gary Loomis's designs", machinery, processing, and materials. This is the
lastest or GEN2 or G2 of his designs and exclusive only through NFC. All new machinery, processing, and materials makes up the original "GEN2" / "G2". This is the latest and greatest version of Gary Loomis.

[www.batsonenterprises.com]

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 02:02PM by Ryan McIntosh.

Date: January 22, 2015 03:15PM

Yeah, I really wish there was more info on what Gen 2 translates to in terms blank design, mfg processes, and technologies. If the info is out there somewhere, it's too hard to find.

Last year I wrote an email to NFC asking about that (and something else) but I never received a reply, not even a standard form reply. Gary's name has a history of being one of (if not the) strongest names in the blank industry, but the current NFC business model is just too lackadaisical for me. When your team doesn't reply to emails, why should I have confidence they're going to stand behind a product if there's a problem down the road?

When a rodbuilder recommend a companies products to be used in a build, they're essentially acting as a representative to that company albeit on a small scale. I think sometimes people at the top don't always keep this in mind; it would be prudent if they did.

Date: January 22, 2015 04:04PM

Hi John,
This is why we, Batson Enterprises, got in the mix. Our job is to help the industry on the understanding and the clarification as much as we can. What is GEN2? look here: [www.batsonenterprises.com] The catalog has a whole section of GEN2 or G2. He has updated everything from his older designs, manufacturing, materials, and processing. Much like car companies refresh every 4 years to be up on the market, Gary Loomis has updated everything!

Now this being said, there is not any company going to give away exact trade secrets, but there is enough info to gain knowledge.

Please feel free to contact us about anything.

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises

Date: January 22, 2015 07:57PM

I
For the life of me can not understand why anyone cares of what a company makes there rods from or the names they call there new type of pre peg ?? I have read some pretty weard names

Does any one understand the names of these materials ( i don't think so ) Check out any company and look at what they call there Materials that there rod is put together with
That is how Builders are caught just like fish and a pretty lure

I would Rather come here and see what companies are mentioned
Yes Batson is on the top then MHX -- I am supprised that St Croix is not here often Maybe it is price hay we all are looking to save a few bucks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 23, 2015 07:21PM

Geez Bill. Rest assured some of us do like to know what we get for our money. Maybe some of the terms don't mean anything but a lot of them do. It isn't that hard to get an education these days given the power of the internet. I would suggest looking outside the fishing rod industry though.

I would find it hard to say anything bad about st. croix. Might be nice if they listed blanks as mag bass, popping, etc. like others do. And sure retail prices at kinda high but the wholesale discount is substanial. Every builder is looking for a better product at a cheaper price to maximize profits on a finished rod. Blanks like MHX help do that. Doesn't mean st. croix and lamiglas have fallen behind in the race. You should be greatful that you have so many good options. I wouldn't expect it to last forever. Lord knows it wasn't the norm most of my life.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: January 24, 2015 06:44PM

I just figure the best or the most durable blanks are the ones that builders use and are meansioned here

You go read all the wright ups and discriptions of a lot of materials that blanks are made of And I am sure most of them have names that no one reconizes or have seen befor Probably another name for the same thing ??
A lot that are mensioned her are good priced blanks Batson MHX and starting to see RodGeeks a lot Maybe it is price but if a builders customers use and like them With there price they are good sellers

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 27, 2015 01:08PM

Bill, you may not be interested in the details of the products you buy and use, but I'd be willing to bet that in the rodbuilding community you are in the minority.

I like to know when a company is coming out with something that is actually new or different and possibly better, and I want to be an educated consumer and understand why. Sometimes companies just change names and terms for the very same product they've been selling for years without making any significant change in the product. In 35 years of rodbuilding I've seen it happen at least a few times before.

And just to be clear, I am in no way questioning Batson or NFC blanks. What I am saying is if you do want to know this stuff, it's maddening when you can't find it or it's presented in a way that's not useful to you.

When I made my original post, I was hoping there was a quick easy answer. There was for the Batson line, Ryan clarified it for me and I thanked him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 01:24PM by John E Powell.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster