I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ProWrap metallic colors
Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 11:56AM

I am planning to do a wrap in metallic yellow, orange, and red. I have red left over from the Gudebrod era, but no yellow or orange. It's hard to determine true look from the ProWrap sites on-line, so I'm wondering if anyone out there can recommend ProWrap metallic colors that will give me a hardcore yellow, but more importantly, a nice orange to serve as an intermediate between the yellow and red? Thanks.

Bilgee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ProWrap metallic colors
Posted by: Gerald (Jerry) Bouyear (---.crescommwifi.com)
Date: January 19, 2015 12:10PM

Are you planning to wrap the guides with metallic thread?

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 02:01PM

Should have said that to begin with -- yes, want to do the guides and decorative all in metallic, and size D

Bilgee

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 07:45PM

Bill

I have the prowrap color thread chart using real thread in lieu of photos, great tool for rod repairs. There is no yellow or orange in metallic thread. However there is a 9100 Yellow gold which is very light gold and a 9135 in the Pro X metallic thread. Either of these would be a close substitute.

As far as orange you possibley could use 9720 Red copper but that's a stretch.

May want to order some and see how it looks together. ALSO,

[rodbuilding.org]

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2015 07:57PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 07:52PM

Give MUDHOLE a call....their customer service folks will look at the various metallic they have in stock and make a recommendation. They have done it in the past for me.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 11:07PM

Pac Bay has metallic orange in D thread.

Date: January 20, 2015 02:10AM

I have always stayed away from using metallic thread on guide wraps because of concerns about the strength of the thread. I looked at as something for use in accent, and decorative wraps, Metallic thread is thread with a foil covering. am I missing something?

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 20, 2015 03:47AM

I've used metallic on guides, and never had an issue of it not holding up. One fly rod was done about 10 years ago, and is used regularly without any issues.

Bil, I hope you find your colors. Post pics!

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Chris Rhodes (---.crow.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 20, 2015 08:49AM

I would like to add that I once ordered Pac-Bay's Orange Metallic for a project requiring a very bright orange metallic. The picture looked bright orange, but in person it was more of a copper color in my opinion. If you hold a shiny new penny next to it, its a pretty close match. It's a nice color, just not what I would call orange.

-CR

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2015 10:17AM

I too have used metallic on guides and have never had a problem with strength. But I have had problems with the "foil" breaking or stretching causing blemishes.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: January 20, 2015 10:33AM

Robert Hummel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I too have used metallic on guides and have never
> had a problem with strength. But I have had
> problems with the "foil" breaking or stretching
> causing blemishes.

John.....this is why I apply tension to the spool and not to the metallic thread itself....especially the Pac Bay.....for my money the Pro Wrap metallic is much better.

Date: January 20, 2015 06:10PM

I agree with the foil cumming loose and exposing the thread under neath I have found that less pressure on the thread helps keep this from happening. It is probably me but I still don't feel comfortable using it for guide wraps. I also feel that Pro Wrap is the better buy. Also never thought of putting tension on the spool great tip.
Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster