I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide spacing starting point for conventional 12 foot surf rod
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 18, 2015 07:12PM

Looking for a starting point for guide spacing for conventional style reel on a 12 foot surf rod blank. This will be for a blank rated heavy for 16 ounce lures. I plan to test cast and static line deflection test but i am looking for starting point for guide spacing and the approximate distance the stripping guide should be from the reel face.

thanks,
Buzz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide spacing starting point for conventional 12 foot surf rod
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 07:15PM

Simple

Google up a 12' surf rod spacing chart

It is only a starting point

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 07:30PM

Buzz,
On a long rod like that, I would start with the first guide at 30 inches and go from there.
Some folks will even go out to 36 inches for the first guide.

From another source:

'ok... on a rod that is 13'6... what size and spacing should the guides be at??? or where should it be at for more distance... please help and explain... thanks...

Stripper Guide Placement in Relation to the Reel
The next step is the process is to first determine the position of the stripper guide in relation to the reel. Factors that will determine the guide's position are:

- The size and height of the guide.

- The action of the blank.

- The size of the reel and the face of the spool on a spinning reel.

The following measurements for stripper guide placement are all approximate:

- For surf spinning anywhere from 36-50 inches from the face of the spool. The higher the guide ring off the blank or the bigger the spool face, then the farther away the guide should be from the reel face.

- For conventional surf rods anywhere from 32-40 inches from the center of the reel seat. Slow action rods will require distance at the lower end of the range. Also, reel size is a factor.

Once the initial position of the stripper guide has been determined, the next step is the position of the first guide from the tip top. Again, these distances are approximate.

- Surf Spinning - 7-8 inches

- Conventional Surf - 5-7 inches.

- Lighter Spinning - 4-5 inches

- Conventional Boat - 4-5 inches

To space out the remaining guides, I use the following approximate distances:

- Surf Spinning - increasing distances from the tip of 1.5-2.0 inch increments working towards the stripper guide. e.g. 5.0" then 6.5" then 8.0" etc.

- Conventional Surf - increasing distances from the tip of 1-inch increments working towards the stripper guide. e.g. 5.0", 6.0", 7.0" etc.

I hope this helps. Keep in mind that these are starting points. Once you place the guides on the blank (via. tape, tubing, or tie wraps) do a static test and adjust the guides as needed. You don't want your line the make contact with the blank. The action of the blank will play a big part in guide placement."

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2015 07:37PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 08:06PM

Why do builders have to make things -- so complicated

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 18, 2015 08:11PM

Perfect Roger just what I was looking for thanks.

Buzz

Bill I did Google it, nothing came back, that is why I posted, that is why this forum is here...............................

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: January 20, 2015 02:30AM

Buzz,

Usually we look for a little more information.

One piece or 2 piece ?

What is the split ? 50/50, 60/40, 70/30

Lure rating 16 ounce. What is the range ?

Will it be expected to cast 16 ounce lures or bait cast 16 ounces ?

What is the size reel and line test ?

And what is the action ?

Size shock leader/rub line ?

This all plays a part in establishing guide size and spacing.

Don

Don Becker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster