I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shelf-life of ProKote epoxy
Posted by: Todd Noble (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 11:21AM

I have been using ProKote epoxy and have had good luck with it, but when I opened the blue bottle yesterday, (the resin half) it was thick and white. The hardener however seemed to be fine. The cap seemed to be tight, but I had discarded the plug that comes in the bottle top. Did air get to it? It has been in a temperature controlled room, so I don't think it got too hot or too cold. This is the first time it's ever happened to me.. Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shelf-life of ProKote epoxy
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 11:49AM

Todd,

Had you cut the tip off of the bottle? If so you may have a problem with the hardener drying out. Try putting it into a microwave for about 8-10 seconds and see if that helps. Don't over heat it, just warm it up.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: January 18, 2015 11:59AM

The hardener was OK.And yes, I have cut the tips off the bottles. I will try slowly heating the resin and see what happens. Thank you Don..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 01:22PM

Todd,
I have found the best solution to this issue is the microwave.
But, only do about 3-5 seconds at a time. It does not take much time at all to heat the material with the microwave.

Just do it in 3-5 second burst, stirring between shots to heat it "just" enough to recombine the material.

Take care

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 01:39PM

I prefer putting the bottle in a coffee mug and then pouring boiling water around the bottle. After a couple of minutes you can remove it and it will be clear again.

Posted by: Scott Gamble (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: January 18, 2015 11:08PM

Had this also, went white on the bottom of the bottle, still don't know why, when syringing it out would get white specks in it, have not used it since and thought some how it got contaminated but still couldn figure out how. Be interesting to see if warming it up more dissolves the whiteness.

SG Custom Rods
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2015 11:24PM

Scott,
It will.

Date: January 20, 2015 10:45AM

I had a small bottle that had the white flecks in it, and didn't even try heating it, I just threw it away. The 8 oz bottle that went white on me cleared right up when I put it in warm water..Thanks guys!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster