I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lazer guide alignment system
Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 02:38PM

I'm thinking of getting a laser alignment tool from Mudhole. If you use one, what are your thoughts? I'm building mostly fly rod so I'm curious how it will work for that also. Thanks for all your thoughts and comments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lazer guide alignment system
Posted by: Larry Cowden (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 03:51PM

I have one from Mud Hole. I used it to build my dad's rod last month. That was a 7'6" rod for casting using the Micro Wave guides. It does produce a nice line of sight for initial guide alignment. However you have to make sure that your blank is perfectly straight to get the best results with the laser on the guides. I would use it again for the next one. Don't know how well it would work for a fully assembled fly rod in terms of the beam reaching the tip. Might have to do it in shorter sections for best results. Also eliminate any strong lighting from the side as that can interfere with your ability to see the line.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 04:43PM

Gary,
I don't believe that the laser alignment tool from Mudhole would work well for the majority of rod building. Simply put, too many blanks have a slight curve or bend that effectively makes the laser system less than idea.

The curvature that I mention is "typical" for blanks being supplied today and in the past and are by no means defective.

I just find that by simply sighting along both the top of the blank and slightly rotating the blank back and forth; it is very simple to get the guides perfectly aligned. If there is a slight bend in the blank, you just work around that when aligning the guides and effectively disregard the slight bend when aligning the guides.

Sight down both the top of the rod, and the bottom of the rod for a final check on guide alignment and you will be good to go.

Nothing at all wrong with the laser alignment system. But due to real world build factors, may be more trouble to use, than other simpler methods.

When aligning the guides on the rod, I simply eye ball the guides from the butt to the tip of the rod, in a very bright room with a light colored floor. It really helps a lot to do the alignment in a well lit room with a white wall, floor or ceiling to sight against.

I always mark the straightest axis on the rod blank. Then, after tying on the guide, I place the rod tip and align it with the tape that I have used to mark the straightest axis. Then, I go over and align each of the guides to the tip. Check and double check until correct.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 05:00PM

it will probably take you longer to set it up then to look down the rod and move any guides needed
I take a rod and look down it outside aim it to the white clouds
if you got some money ya want to spend I got a bridge in NYC to sell ya LOL -- cheep

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 05:18PM

I use a laser to align my guides however it is not a mudhole one it is one built into a spirit level with a tripod .I don't use it to set my guides up I only use it to get the final alignment prior to epoxy. To set it up I turn the blank 90 degrees with the tops facing me (I have one of the chuck jaws marked with paint & a centre line scribed ) With the centre line in line with the laser line I turn the laser to a horizontal line & check that the line passes along the top (In the centre) the top of the guide . If a guide is out of line it stands out like a neon light & then all I do is give them a tweek .It takes all of 2 mins to set up & rectify any guides out of line .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 05:28PM

I have a MH, build only fly rods, and have not used it. I've tried, but the foot on the guide has not fit any reel seat I've yet installed. I did grind the feet down a bit, but still too big. I'm concerned that much more grinding could lead to some misalignment of the feet to the seat once I've ground enough material away to get the feet to seat.
Bit of a dud for users of small reel seats.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 05:48PM

Thanks guys. That just saved me money. That's why I asked. Now I'll just go and spend that on something else.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 06:00PM

I got a reel good guide alignment tool

Get several CHEAP reels ( fish and save ) Look it up Cut the feet off Depending on the reel being used cut to match where the line comes off the reel Low or High
find center Make a v in it paint it a bright color Now you have a guide alignment tool get some CHEAP fly lines in bright colors tape on the seat over the V and into the guides out the top with some weight on the end if the line is not streight though the guides adjust

I still glue the top aligned to the reel or seat then go outside with guides up - down align

gee - only $50.00 for the whole set up got to have one You need it Can not live without it saves time when aligning guides priceless Dooooo LOL
God I sound like a marketer

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2015 09:24PM

I have one. It works.
It's true that the beam is easier to see in low light.
Use your eye too. I do, but it's nice to use just to fine tune before the thread finish goes on.
Or, to double check the straightest angle, before you epoxy the reel seat...
No worries about rod length...It a laser, the beam stays narrow and goes on almost forever.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 12:02AM

I always get a rough line up from my guides with pieces of tape on the blank that I then mark with a marker right on the plane I want the guides on. Doesn't matter how perfect I set each guide on this mark when wrapping, I always have to move guides. This is because of what other people have mentioned. It is very rare to get a straight blank and also if the blank is flexing in anyway, even under its own weight it will affect it.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 09:47AM

I will sell you mine cheap. Shot me an email. Only used it a couple of times and I did not care for it at all.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2015 10:50AM

Like any tool, there is a learning curve.
The primary function of this tool is to ease the aligning of guides.
We can all do that without a tool.
This just makes it easier, once you master the tool.

No one has mentioned the built in level and tape measure.
I use both of these features.

Can you get along without it? Sure.
You can also wind guides with a notched card board box...
Does it work and is it worth the price? I think so.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 08:00PM

I recently watched a video on how the techs at SEEKER build their rods...I got a good laugh when I saw a woman aligning the guides on a rod by holding it up in front of a light colored background and sighting down the rod and making adjustments before applying finish to the wraps......just like I do. Somehow I expected something a little more technical.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 20, 2015 01:39PM

I was initially interested in the idea. I thought it might help the students in my school's rodbuilding group who don't come to the table with a lot of practical skills.

Then I thought about how I would check their work and I realized I'd do what I always do, hold the rod out and sight down the blank with a bright background for contrast, checking the centering of the blank in each guide's ring. If that's going to be my check, then honestly, I don't see a whole lot of sense in using a different method to set them up in the first place.

At least for me, this is one of those things where the KISS rule applies.

At the same time, I certainly would be receptive to hearing someone's elses personal experiences at how this tool helped them solve a rodbuilding problem they could not solve in another manner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster