I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Very best 7' MH All Purpose Bass Blank
Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: January 16, 2015 02:31PM

I know I'm opening Pandora's box in asking this question, but I'm searching for the BEST/Highest quality/lightest/most durable blank available to builders. To borrow from Tackle Tour, "The One"

My personal favorite is an old GLX blank that I built. It has been nothing short of amazing, but obviously can't be replicated.

Again just for a reference point I'm talking about 7' MH, roughly 10-20lb line all purpose rod. The Loomis rod is a GLX 843.

I know there's no correct answers, but I'd love to hear some opinions. Cost isn't an issue for this discussion.

Thanks

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Very best 7' MH All Purpose Bass Blank
Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 05:17PM

Hydra MB844-NG
1/4 – 1 oz Lure | 10 – 17# Line | Fast Action

General Purpose Use
Bass Fishing: Texas Rig, Jig, Large Spinnerbait, Tube style swimbait, Light Carolina Rig

100% Scrimless fiber
US built
Avg Blank wt. = 2.2 oz

[hydrafishing.com]

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 05:35PM

OK
let me throw this out there
What was the most popular blank a while back
G Loomis every one wanted his blanks and STILL look for anything they can find

I would dare to say that now that loomis and batson are getting together they may be coming out with some good stuff i would take a look at both companies -- I could be wrong - cause of hype ?? But

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 08:20PM

X2 what Bill said, I also like the St Croix 5C70MHF.

Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 09:02PM

Mud Hole's HMMB843

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 08:02AM

Try a search of this board You will come up with a lot of good options

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 09:57AM

Robert Tanner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mud Hole's HMMB843

I would second this opinion. MHX843?

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 11:20AM

Joe,
Simply put, there is NO best 7' MH all purpose bass blank.

The reason for that is that there is NO all purpose blank of any kind. Any blank can be tailored to do a really excellent job at one aspect of fishing. But, no blank can be the best at all facets of a particular fishing rod.

Yes, many many very excellent rod blanks being made that all excel for various aspects of various types of fishing. You can get a very good general purpose rod that covers many aspects of the sport or hobby, but to get the very best rod, for doing a particular style of fishing, you need to get a rod, that is specifically tailored to do that particular fishing task.

However, certainly any of the options mentioned above are all very much above average rods, that will do a fine job of catching hundreds of fish using a lot of different methods.

Good luck

Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: January 19, 2015 02:41PM

Roger:

Understood, I'm asking because I've seen various reports about different builds and wanted to see if anyone was in love with any particular blanks and if so why?

For example:

Phenix ? any feedback?
Northfork composites
Rodgeeks?
Rainshadow?
Hydra was mentioned (thank you) but why?

Just hoping for some more feedback.

Thanks

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2015 06:23PM

You mentioned you like a Loomis GLX blank. Loomis is now Northfork and Batson/Rainshadow is now the distributor. Seems the logical place to begin.

Rodgeeks offers St. Croix's blanks at a factory direct price and with options on colors. St. Croix is an established high end name.

Hydra is a newcomer with high end design. Many of us know the name behind the name. I would put them high on the list, especially since you mention durable.

No experience with phenix for bass rods but they seem to making inroads on the west coast long range tuna fishing secene.

I wouldn't leave lamiglas off any list.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 20, 2015 11:20AM

Yes.. We have a multitude of blanks!!
North Fork Composites by Gary Loomis ( You mentioned you wanted something similar ) Any of the HM GEN2 blanks are worth looking at!!
[batsonenterprises.com]

RainShadow Rod blanks in the Eternity2 or Immortal lines are amazing. Designed By Mike Thorson VP of Engineering for Jaguar Designs a Batson Brand ( Previous Product manager for ST. Croix )
[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 21, 2015 01:23PM

Joe Johnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> For example:
>
> Hydra was mentioned (thank you) but why?
>
> Just hoping for some more feedback.
>
> Thanks

Joe - do a search for ALX Rods and you will find out much more about Hydra blanks and the performance you can expect. Same company and Hydra blanks are used for the ALX Rods ZOLO Series.

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: MHX Rod Blanks (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2015 06:29PM

Thanks Robert & Donald for the endorsement of the MHX High Modules line of blanks - you're part of the reason our MHX blanks are the #1 selling rod blanks in the world! Thank you for the support!

Joe, our MHX High Modules Gen2 blanks are our top of the line offering with the HM-MB844 and MH-MB43 being the 7' MH type of blank you are looking for. Follow the link below to read more:
[fishmhx.com]

Tight Lines,
MHX Rod Blanks
Web: [www.fishmhx.com]
Follow us on Facebook [www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 22, 2015 11:17AM

Joe its simple.. You stated that your personal favorite was an old GLX. Gary Loomis's new company North Fork Composites with his GEN2 processing, designs, and materials will be the perfect blank.

We just happened to have 2 premium offerings in both the North Fork Composites by Gary Loomis and RainShadow.

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Scott Kleppe (---.196.51.216.dyn.southslope.net)
Date: January 22, 2015 03:57PM

Seriously, take a look at American Tackle's Bushido blanks. The MB73 / 10-20 would fit the bill. I feel the Bushido blanks are very durable and sensitive, with plenty of muscle to handle anything I have come in contact with.

SK Custom Rods
American Tackle Pro Staff

Fish now, cause you'll be dead for a long time.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 22, 2015 04:05PM

What Scott mentioned is correct, if you are wanting a FastAction all around blank, the Bushido MB 7'3 10-20lb fits the bill (can trim off the bottom). The LS 10-20lb Bushido is a Mod-Fast and also a great all-around blank, the Quality is just brilliant.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2015 04:22PM

I'm a saltwater guy. Specialize in speckled trout and redfish. They are pretty similar to bass fishing in techniques used to catch them. Lots of casts, different lures, etc. The rods we use for those can be used by bass people as well. American Tackle - MB73 10/20!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 04:23PM by Craig Freeman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster