I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
exposed blank reel seat
Posted by: mick vickers (---.a1a.zs.ncren.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 12:03PM

I've never used an exposed blank reel seat before. the trigger seat only comes in size 17 now so ordering the seat to match the blank is not an option. what is the best way shim this seat so it is flush with the blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: exposed blank reel seat
Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: January 16, 2015 01:00PM

Size 17 is the outside dimension. Exposed blank reel seats must be matched to the blank so you must order the right ID (usually 9-15mm). There is no way to shim it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 01:37PM

If you know how long the butt handle will be measure from the butt of the blank and have the supplier match up a seat

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 16, 2015 02:40PM

the trigger seat only comes in size 17 now so ordering the seat to match the blank is not an option

Date: January 16, 2015 03:06PM

They have different inside diamiters to fit different blanks so you can get one that fits your blank snugly
Like these check the sizes
[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2015 03:08PM by bill boettcher.

Date: January 16, 2015 03:16PM

I understand now, finally. but let me rephrase this; the vendor only has one size of these seats, size 17, and all the ones he has in stock at this time have the same inside diameter. I have ordered the seat and the blank and do not have either one in my possession. my customer wanted this blank and this seat. on the chance that the seat does not fit the blank in the location he desires...
what is the best way shim this seat so it is flush with the blank?
thanks,
mick

Date: January 16, 2015 03:34PM

The only thing I can think of that may work is a reel seat arbor Pac Bay makes black ones guessing the seat is black or any dark color You could possibally use two sections one in the thread section and one in the butt of the seat But it may not feel right in the hand Or a complete arbor and file out where the blank shows

I suggest get the right size for the blank at another supplier Plenty of good ones on the left The correct size will make things a LOT easier
Who ever you got the blank and seat from should have let you know this and either got you the right one or sent you to someone that had the right one

Hopefully it is a little tight - they can be reamed out to fit

I hope it fits ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2015 04:49PM

Mick,
Simply put, the requirement to make or use an arbor for an exposed reel seat really does not work well at all, unless the hole that is in the reel seat is the same size or smaller than the size of the blank; at the place where it needs to be mounted.
The reason for this, is that the underside of the reel seat, needs to have a perfect fit to the blank, for the right and comfortable "feel" on the blank.

If the reel seat is the same size, or the hole is smaller, then the inside of the reel seat; although difficult to ream; may be reamed out to the correct perfect matching size.

But if you start with a hole that is too large and then use an arbor, you will have a gap, or opening where the blank is to be in contact with the fingers of the user.

Like Bill said, use a different vendor that can supply you with the correct sized reel seat.

Good luck

Date: January 16, 2015 05:09PM

Did you get this stuff off that aution site ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2015 10:43PM

Roger and Bill are correct. I suggest finding another vendor that has the seat your are looking for, that fits that blank you have ordered.

If your client is discriminating enough to demand that seat. He won't like the results of one that has been shimmed!

Better to turn down the build then to have an unhappy client. Who will share his disappointment with what were once future customers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2015 10:44PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 12:12AM

I think what Mick is saying is he already ordered the stuff and its in the mail. So hes trying to make the best of what hes getting if it doesn't work. That said I would agree with most of them Mick and say you can chalk this one up as a lesson learned and make sure what you order will work for sure instead of just sticking with what a vendor has in stock. There are a lot of vendors and if one doesn't have what you need then move on to one that does.

Date: January 17, 2015 08:09AM

if worse come to wrost put an arbor in the seat - No Glue - mark the opening take it out and sand it Checking several times to get a nice fit When good glue it in and ream to fit the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 11:07AM

Bill,
Out of curiosity, how is an arbor going to work for a "feel the blank" reel seat.

If you put an arbor in the reel seat and ream it to fit the blank and the inside of the reel seat, you will be putting your finger on the arbor when you go to touch the blank. If you use a circular file to file a finger hold in the arbor, the depth of the slot will be such that it normally won't feel right to the finger, will it?

I thought that I would try it once, but gave up after the feel of the reel seat just didn't work out.

Be safe

Date: January 17, 2015 04:38PM

IF
The seat is too large ya can slide an arbor into the seat NO GLUE
Then MARK the opening where your finger and the blank show though
Take the arbor out and file - sand till the area is shapped
it will be thicker and you will have to play to make sure the blank shows though

This is if he does not want to get the right size Which would be the best and quickest way

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2015 05:38PM

It is possible to offset the bore in an arbor so that the blank is still exposed and flush with the bottom of the seat. RodMaker had an article on this in the past year.

Date: January 17, 2015 06:12PM

The one thing is
It is for a customer he should do it Right and get the proper sized ID for the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: January 17, 2015 07:30PM

Mick -
Tom has given you one approach. Install the arbors - two, three or four and glue them into the reel seat leaving the exposed opening without any arbors visible. After they are solid use a round rasp & remove the arbor material so that the blank fits the opening of the exposed reel seat so it fits the blank then glue the reel seat to the blank. The bank will rest "off set) in the front opening of the reel seat so you will have to close the opening of the reel seat with a fore grip. Another way - if the gap between the reel seat and blank isn't very large is to slide the reel seat in place & mark the area of the blank that is exposed. In the exposed area install a decoration - a short thread wrap, abalone, metallic tape - anything so that the material in the void area appears to be intentional. Epoxy the reel seat in place and fill the void between the blank and the reel seat with high viscosity epoxy (thread wrap finish will work). Go slowly as this may require several applications to make the opening flush and eliminate any bubbles that may surface. Doing it this way the rod will remain centered in the opening of the reel seat.

Hope this helps you - yes, it's a bummer that manufacturers don't always make parts that fit exactly what a customer tells you they want - but you can use that as an opportunity to showcase custom work with a little flare

Date: January 20, 2015 01:24PM

sorry been away for a few days and thanks for all the replies. a friend wants a rod built, he's not really a fisherman, all he knows is he wants a casting rod. I ordered the blank and then saw this seat. this is the only size this vendor has at this time, said they may possibly get more depending on the reception of these so I ordered one. if it fits i'll use it, if not after reading the above, I will get a correct fitting seat for this blank.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 21, 2015 09:41AM

Mick it sounds like you have gotten your hands on a new PTS seat from Fuji. This seat is available in a size 17 only and requires the use of a carbon sleeve to provide a flush fit against the seat. Arbors are then installed and seat positioned as usual. We will have the sleeves to go with the seat soon, but we chose to offer the seat in advance of the sleeve because so many builders said they could find or create a sleeve of their own. If I've missed my guess on the seat, this method should work for any similar situation.

Date: January 23, 2015 03:31PM

Nailed it Jim

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster