I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Beginner Question
Posted by: Peter (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2001 01:42AM

I bought a st croix 4wt 4pc rod kit. Sliding the reel seat down the butt section it only goes about 6 in down. leaving over 20in left to go. Do I need to ream the wood out that much or is possible I got the wrong size seat.
Thank you very much,Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beginner Question
Posted by: Solly G (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 08, 2001 09:51AM

Peter,
It's obvious the reel seat insert is the wrong size. I've had on rare occasion the mismatch with graphite reel seats, especially with some oversized musky blanks the reel seats were size 16 and should have been bigger.

But, on the fly kit with a wood or cork reel seat insert, it may be necessary to ream out some more to get it into position. Many times that is the case as the inserts have a standard small bore. Similar to what you would need to ream the cork handles.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 08, 2001 09:53AM

Sorry, the author. forgot to change name as the Solly part posted before. It's really suppose to be as above.

Rich

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: November 08, 2001 04:17PM

Rod "kits" are not like plastic model kits. Things are not supposed to fit perfectly (If that happens then just accept the happy accident and move along). Most seat inserts are only available in a couple of bore sizes. Some reaming or building up is usually necessary. That is part of custom rod building.

Nothing wrong with checking with your dealer for larger bore size if available, but just remember that some fitting of the parts on your end is usually required.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster