I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fugi Belly Guides
Posted by: Alan Sautter (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2015 02:22PM

Anybody have any experience wrapping the K Series belly guides (TKBTG6)? I used the Forhan locking wraps on the tip guides (TKTTG6), but the design of the belly guides prevents a smooth application of the Forhan wrap. Should I forego the locking wraps and try to just work a few blocking wraps in. It seems like the saw tooth design on the foot SHOULD hold the guide in place pretty stongly. My first time using single foot guides.

Alan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fugi Belly Guides
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.236.---)
Date: January 12, 2015 06:20PM

I have used the belly guides on a number or builds and no problems with a conventional wrap. Since you mention your first experience with single foot guides, I will state my opinion of the need for locking wraps. They, if anything, help to prevent the tearing off of guides when subjected to the stresses exerted by sticking rods in and out of rod tubes, stress tends to peel off the guides. Normal fishing is not an issue. I have never had a guide tear off like this, and I've done a lot of rods without the locking wraps. Having said that, the locking wraps have no disadvantage other than a little more work in wrapping the guide. IMHO.

Posted by: Rick Ballard (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 13, 2015 02:54PM

I have done several with the belly guides and have no problems with and without locking wraps. I did a couple of mine without to see if they would fail and have not 2 years into the experiment. I am kind of rough on rods, so you should be ok without locking if you choose. If I am selling the rod, I lock the wraps because it is too easy to do and eliminates a service call. Somebody rips a belly guide with a locking wrap out, I have a pretty good idea they were mistreating it.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 13, 2015 05:50PM

I personally do not lock the KB. I do lock the KT

Date: January 13, 2015 06:47PM

Thanks for the inputs guys. Since a couple of you have no problems without the locking wraps I think I will go with Jim's system - lock the KTs and conventional wrap the KBs.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 15, 2015 10:48AM

Alan,

You don't really describe the intended use, and who this is for.

It's difficult to make a recommendation as there are so many factors like thread size, tension, underwraps or not, cp or not, likely use, possible abuse, etc. If in doubt, I'd err on the safe side and overbuild.

If design elements are more important in this situation, then you're probably not facing a usage situation that will task the build.

All your options are likely viable.

Date: January 15, 2015 11:41AM

John,

This will be my personal Coho downrigger rod built on a Rainshadow RDR86M. Although I have landed Coho of 14+ lbs, the last few years our runs have been smaller fish with a 9 pounder being a prize.

I like the parabolic action of the Rainshodow blank as a personal preference and like the way it loads up in the downrigger. With that as a starting point, I also want the tip as sensitive as possible because we get a lot of shakers and have copious quantities of eel grass in the water.. Want to be able to see if a shaker is twitching the tip or if I have picked up some weeds.

So with the thought that I want a sensitve tip, not necessarily a fast action tip, I decided to go with the RDR86M and the lightest single foot guides I could find out on the tip. This is being spiral wrapped so I am using double foot guides to get the line wrapped down to the bottom of the rod.

I use 30# braid with a 25 or so ft top shot of 12 to 15 # mono tied with an Albright knot. The Albright is pretty small but still tends to put a bit of a beating on the guides. Thus the decision to bite the bullet and go with the Torzite rings.

I have enough money in parts for this build to have gone out and bought a pair of pretty nice rods. But hopefully will end up with exactly what I think I want.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster