I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Master One Epoxy Finish
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 19, 2014 02:21PM

Has anybody ever used the thread master One epoxy finish and is it a lite build or heavy build type of finish and is it ment to be used as a Rod cement or a Thread finish! apply and go or mix and finish type of epoxy.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Master One Epoxy Finish
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2014 02:27PM

It is a finish for thread wraps, not an adhesive. It is very lite and needs multiple coats to look like two part epoxy. No mixing necessary only one part. Tried it and did not like the appearance.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 19, 2014 03:37PM

sounds like you know your stuff Phil nice to here from a guy that has been building rods for ever and from how you say it there is not much of a need to even try it.

thanks Phil

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2014 03:41PM

It's not an epoxy. It may or may not be to your liking. Some folks want a single part finish, to be applied in multiple thin coats. Different people like different things.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 19, 2014 03:49PM

best thing to do is get a small amount of it and try it on a piece of scrap blank with a wrap

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2014 07:54PM

I like to use it for repairs. I do not like the fact that it takes several coats, and that it is difficult to make it look as smooth as 2 part finish.
I do like the fact that it dries super fast and that it is a one part finish. For me, it is really good for guide repairs where you have one, maybe two guides to replace or repair. No mixing, no 24 hour wait time. In that sense, it has a place on my bench and definitely gets used.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.9.117.194.ctitech.com)
Date: December 22, 2014 09:40PM

I used it on my latest build. Don't like it. I intended to put it in file13, but after reading David's comment, I think I'll keep it around for quick repair work. It may be just the thing for that application.

Biggest, and for me the only pro; it penetrates nicely. The first coat fixes the thread to the blank and seals the tunnels nicely.

Possible pro for some apps; it sets up very quickly.

biggest con; it sets up so quick it does not level well at all. I tried coating a decal. Ended up stripping it off and starting over with normal two-part finish.

second biggest con; it takes several coats to even come close to looking good. I had five coats on the latest rod, and it still does not look good to me.

I think what I should be saying is; there's a learning curve for this finish I do not intend to explore. I get good results with regular two part finish. I don't need to learn how to use this stuff.

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 23, 2014 06:27PM

glenn,where did you get the thread master one epoxy finish .i would like to give it try.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 24, 2014 12:53PM

I use it when I need to do a fast, down-and-dirty tip-top repair. For that, it's great. For any situation where time is not of the essence, I use my favorite 2-part epoxy, which happens to be Threadmaster high build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster