I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

crosswraps
Posted by: Jeff Shaw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2014 01:38PM

Hi all, I'm new to rodbuilding and thread art. I have done a couple crosswraps and weaves of my own design (which don't look that good but getting the jist)
Can someone please assist me in finding information on the proper way to do crosswraps. Starting, ending, and how to read an instruction list. I now use
masking tape rolled backwards for the sticky side but when I reach a certain point on the wrap I have a complete mess on top of the tape and it makes it hard to continue as well as ending the wrap and
tying it off.

how do you read this?

TITLE: Number 33 - Fish Silouette 2
Section: Head
Cross X 40 Y 20 Spool_Up 1 Spool_Dn 1 Up band 1 init# 1 passes 1 % .5 !
Box X1 38 Y1 20 Spool_Up 2 Spool_Dn 2 X2 42 Y2 20 Spool_Up 2 Spool_Dn 2 Up band 1 init# 1 passes 1 % .5 !
Box X1 37 Y1 20 Spool_Up 3 Spool_Dn 3 X2 43 Y2 20 Spool_Up 7 Spool_Dn 7 Out band 1 init# 1 passes 1 % .5 !
Section: Body
Cross X 40 Y 29 Spool_Up 7 Spool_Dn 3 Right band 1 init# 1 passes 19 % .5 !
Section: Tail
Cross X 40 Y 55 Spool_Up 7 Spool_Dn 7 Left band 1 init# 1 passes 6 % .5 !
Cross X 40 Y 57 Spool_Up 1 Spool_Dn 1 Right plus 1 init# 1 passes 6 % .5 !
Section: Background
Cross X 40 Y 12 Spool_Up 3 Spool_Dn 7 Left band 1 init# 2 passes 1 % .5 !
Cross X 40 Y 10 Spool_Up 1 Spool_Dn 1 Left band 1 init# 1 passes 10 % .5 !
Cross X 40 Y 80 Spool_Up 1 Spool_Dn 1 Right band 1 init# 1 passes 20 % .5 !
Spool 1 Black ~ 1 0 0
Spool 2 White ~ 255 255 255
Spool 3 326 Red ~ 253 75 66
Spool 4 6779 Green ~ 62 132 109
Spool 5 246 Dark Blue ~ 0 74 149
Spool 6 037 Blue ~ 135 173 220
Spool 7 468 Purple ~ 136 0 136
Spool 8 6778 Yellow ~ 255 255 128
Spool 9 Gold ~ 214 140 41
Spool 10 002 White ~ 255 255 255
Spool 11 Maroon ~ 167 56 84
Spool 12 Black ~ 1 0 0

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: crosswraps
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2014 03:16PM

To begin with use double stick tape over a single layer of blue painters tape. The painters tape will not leave a residue on your grip. I would hate to attempt a wrap using what you have listed. What is it supposed to mean?

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: December 19, 2014 03:57PM

I can't read that but as Randolph said...wrap your rod and grip in blue painters tape first then take a wrap with masking tape normally once before you turn it sticky side out. After you get that big mess of thread in the tape refresh it with another wrap of masking tape......then when you are done, CAREFULLY cut it off...layer by layer with your exacto knife.

At least that is how I do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2014 04:02PM by Joe Willsen.

Date: December 19, 2014 06:13PM

Double stick tape works better.

Posted by: Jeff Shaw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2014 08:36PM

thanks for the advice. I have not used dbl sided since all I hear or have read is that it is so hard to remove. I guess not.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 19, 2014 08:50PM

THat's a VisualWRap script for a Fish wrap. Use a popsicle stick paper towel and doublestick tape and don't tape to teh foregrip

THat's a VisualWRap script for a Fish wrap. Use a popsicle stick paper towel and doublestick tape and don't tape to teh foregrip

Date: December 19, 2014 08:51PM

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.gvllcmtc01.gnvlnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 20, 2014 09:50AM

I think Billy meant to say "THat's a VisualWRap script for a Fish wrap. Use a popsicle stick paper towel and doublestick tape and don't tape to teh foregrip"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 20, 2014 11:45AM

LMAO

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 23, 2014 03:09PM

Billy just had a twitchy trigger finger!! :>)

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 05, 2015 03:33PM

The location numbers in visual wrap represent a percentage of the wrap area, not an actual measured layout distance. The x values represent points along the axis of the rod from butt to tip, and the Y values represent points at 90 degrees to the x axis or left-right when the rod if held with the tip pointed away from you. Note on the 2D visual weave display the x is left-right and Y is up down (rotated 90 degrees so the handle is to the left and the rod tip is to the right)

Now, lets imagine two rods with different diameters requiring 2" and 2.5" center to center layouts. Imagine the pattern calls for a cross at 50 on the X axis. This would be 50% of the distance from the first to the second center or 1" actual distance on the 2" center to center rod, but 1.25" on the 2.5" center to center rod.

A box with two crosses at X values of 40 and 60 would be at .8" and 1.2" on a 2" center to center layout and at 1" and 1.5" on the 2.5" center to center.

The reason the Y values in this layout change is because when you wrap a fish you start with the eye which is near one corner of the pattern layout. The bulk of the fish (the body and fins) are built to one side of the eye. That's why you see the Y numbers increasing in this particular pattern - the fish's eye is above the axis of the blank (as displayed in the visual weave 2D display) and the body is built below the eye - on the actual rod, this would translate to the fish facing left stacked one above the other as the pattern repeats.

On many of the various fish patterns where the fish faces left or right when holding the rod with the tip away from you, the center of the body of the fish will be very close to, or exactly at, a Y value of 50. If you spiral the fish pattern, have overly large fins, or an asymmetrical fish body then you may shift the Y value of the fish away from a value of 50 to achieve the look you want.

Any visual weave pattern where the Y value(s) is/are something other than 50 will require extra attention in the planning stages to keep the center of the "completed pattern" on the 0 degree axis of the rod. I've started and cut off more than a few dec wraps where I had poorly placed "y" axis centers that had "Y" value centers other than 50. Just recently I cut off a double opposing, 4 axis fish pattern - twice - before getting everything right on the third attempt. This particular pattern, for my niece's birthday rod, had one fish facing left then the next fish facing right as a set of two fish, repeated 5 times.

A final thought, by switching the numbers (or reflecting them), you can change the orientation the fish by 90 or 180 degrees.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster